Gibson Brands Forums

Crocked Rotomatic…what would you do?

Jinder

Hi all,

My beloved SJ200 has a faulty G string machinehead…it has gradually got rougher/tighter over the last six months and now feels about ready to let go. After many years of Rotos on most of my guitars, I think it may be time to try something different.

What would you choose as a replacement? Obviously it needs to be drop-in rather than something that requires drilling etc. Would like to save a bit of weight if possible as the Rotos are a weighty unit. 

Any and all thoughts very welcome!

Not certain which model Rotos are there now but Stew Mac has all of them with accurate dimensional drawings to find the drop-in replacement.  It will almost certainly be another model of Grover.............the 135 Series will likely do it without any mods and will considerably lighten the headstock.  G'luck!

Gotoh TK-7740 are 18:1 direct replacements for Grover Rotomatics https://www.allparts.com/products/tk-7740-gotoh-sg301-full-size-grover-style-3x3-keys

AVTZqNLl.jpg

Any open gear replacement is going to be lighter but nearly all of them use push-fit bushings and the existing holes in your headstock will be too large so you will need a set of 'reduction' bushings - open gear tuners also have 2 locating screws per tuner so drilling is required too.

Grover are also making a great looking keystone style tuner with a screw-in bushing which solves the 'reduction' bushing problem but still requires a 2nd locating screw hole on the back of the headstock.

iG3JOp9l.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs

2 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Gotoh TK-7740 are 18:1 direct replacements for Grover Rotomatics https://www.allparts.com/products/tk-7740-gotoh-sg301-full-size-grover-style-3x3-keys

AVTZqNLl.jpg

Any open gear replacement is going to be lighter but nearly all of them use push-fit bushings and the existing holes in your headstock will be too large so you will need a set of 'reduction' bushings - open gear tuners also have 2 locating screws per tuner so drilling is required too.

Grover are also making a great looking keystone style tuner with a screw-in bushing which solves the 'reduction' bushing problem but still requires a 2nd locating screw hole on the back of the headstock.

iG3JOp9l.jpg

I replaced the grovers on an HB I had with these. I just used one screw and had no issues.

The Schaller M6 90 looks to be a replacement

TZ_1005.jpg

2 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

iG3JOp9l.jpg

Yep.......these are the Grover 135 series.  Bottom screw hole does align with the single screw of the rotomatics, upper screw would just be cosmetics since the post is bolted in place.

4 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

Yep.......these are the Grover 135 series.  Bottom screw hole does align with the single screw of the rotomatics, upper screw would just be cosmetics since the post is bolted in place.

Good point.

19 hours ago, Jinder said:

Hi all,

My beloved SJ200 has a faulty G string machinehead…it has gradually got rougher/tighter over the last six months and now feels about ready to let go. After many years of Rotos on most of my guitars, I think it may be time to try something different.

What would you choose as a replacement? Obviously it needs to be drop-in rather than something that requires drilling etc. Would like to save a bit of weight if possible as the Rotos are a weighty unit. 

Any and all thoughts very welcome!

Having pictures would help evaluate the issue and determine the type of tuners you currently have on your guitar. If only the tuner post shaft is crooked, perhaps it can be bent straight again. For brand-new tuners, I prefer Kluson wafflebacks or their excellent 3-per-side Kluson Supreme keystone offerings.

KVDW_3_NM.jpg

KTS_3_N.jpg

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Thanks all. I’m going to either go Gotoh or Schaller I think. I’m amazed that I can’t purchase a new rotomatic singly to replace the faulty one…I guess that’s how Grover make their money!

I’ve always liked Rotos, and this is the first one I’ve ever had a problem with, in well over two decades of using them. They are beefy units though, and wouldn’t object to losing a touch of weight via the slightly lighter Gotohs. Not sure on the weight of the Schallers but I’ve had a similar set of Gotohs on my Takamine EAN20C for 20yrs and have never had an issue with ‘em.

22 minutes ago, Jinder said:

Thanks all. I’m going to either go Gotoh or Schaller I think. I’m amazed that I can’t purchase a new rotomatic singly to replace the faulty one…I guess that’s how Grover make their money!

I’ve always liked Rotos, and this is the first one I’ve ever had a problem with, in well over two decades of using them. They are beefy units though, and wouldn’t object to losing a touch of weight via the slightly lighter Gotohs. Not sure on the weight of the Schallers but I’ve had a similar set of Gotohs on my Takamine EAN20C for 20yrs and have never had an issue with ‘em.

There are replacement buttons in many different materials and colours. I swapped out the heavy chrome pegs for some nice, light ebony ones - the weight difference is very noticeable.

The tuners themselves are quite good - it's the weight of the buttons that are off-putting.

I’ve ordered a set of Gotoh SG301 units with chrome tulip buttons to try. They should bolt straight in as replacements for the Rotos and are reportedly lighter and a bit more accurate, so we’ll see how it goes. 

I must stress that I’m in no way anti Grover and have used and recommended Rotomatics to other players for many years. They have always been bulletproof and one of very few varieties of machinehead that I’d trust on a touring instrument. I’m less than enthusiastic about the weight of them, but as Olie said, the buttons can be changed out to aid that. I will keep the set that is on my SJ200, and look out on eBay for a single unit to replace the failing G string Roto. They will ride again!

I’ll report back on the Gotohs-they should arrive this morning, hopefully in time for me to sling them on prior to my gig later today and take them for a test run!