Gibson Brands Forums

Will Gibson ever make archtops again?

jmendoza

the custom shop still does high-end L5s,  Byrdlands, and some artist signatures. I feel like they tested the waters on affordable archtops with the epiphone zenith stuff a few years back, but kind of missed the 2010's folk boom by a few years and the quality wasn't awesome. 

The Loar seems to be best known affordable archtop company these days, lotta folks seem to like them, including Robert Ellis who's a really great player. 

Edited by cunningham26

Jim Triggs is still building archtop guitars and mandolins as well as flattops.  He certainly has the street creds having been brought into Gibson in 1986 and along with Ren helped create the Bozeman shop.  His niche in the guitar world even before Gibson hired him was Loar-period inspired instruments.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Jim Triggs is still building archtop guitars and mandolins as well as flattops.  He certainly has the street creds having been brought into Gibson in 1986 and along with Ren helped create the Bozeman shop.  His niche in the guitar world even before Gibson hired him was Loar-period inspired instruments.

What Archtops is he currently building? I’m curious…

On 7/30/2021 at 4:17 PM, Dave F said:

In the past few years I purchased two new Gibson arch tops. An L5P and F5L. Both built in Tennessee

Arch tops

I don't want an archtop, I don't need an archtop, and most important, I look silly behind one.  But Jesus H. I want them archtops!  Very nice.

rct