Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 Original or Standard

dallasblues

Hey all. I’m in the market for a 00 sized guitar and have a few models on the radar… all are fairly different in build from one another and at different price points. When it comes to Gibsons I like the L-00 Original but could do without the electronics. I’m a bit of a traditionalist I guess. The Standard also looks nice but those bulky tuners just don’t do it for me. I suppose electronics could be removed and tuners swapped. My local big box music stores don’t have either in stock. So trying em out isn’t possible at the moment. Has anyone owned or played both variations and can compare? I’m not entirely sure the difference besides the electronics and tuners. 

Thanks!

DB,

Both the L 00 original and the standard have the same guts , the only difference is the tuners and the silk screen logo on the original vs the Pearl inlay on the standard .

The reason they did that is because they are aware some people who are touring musicians need the grovers for dependability vs maybe someone who plays at home who will be more attracted to the white plastic buttons .So buying a standard and swapping the tuners would defeat the purpose of both lines existing .

I own an L 00 and the body is very comfortable, and it’s very versatile.

If you’re  in Texas give the shop I do business with a call :

Fuller’s Guitar in Houston
Phone :713-880-2188

They have a standard in stock but  if you really want an Original they could order it for you (if you are willing to wait ) :

https://www.fullersguitar.com/gibson-l-00-standard-vintage-sunburst-40982487.html

they stand by the products they sell and are a world class shop.

P.D   My own personal experience is L 00’s are magical guitars .

JC

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, Eric Bram said:

I think it's misleading for Gibson L-00 reproductions made in the 1990s to be advertised as "original" or "vintage" or "true vintage" models. Those words should be used only for Gibson L-00 guitars actually made before the end of WWII.

It is confusing.   If you stick around here for a couple of years - you'll appreciate the differences between  vintage and "Vintage".  Marketing can't come up with any new old words !

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

It is confusing.   If you stick around here for a couple of years - you'll appreciate the differences between  vintage and "Vintage".  Marketing can't come up with any new old words !

I always liked Modern Vintage.  But I did keep waiting for Bozeman to come up with Truer True Vintage,

My preference would be for the original due to bone nut/saddle, white button tuners, silk-screened logo, and to be completely ridiculous but most-importantly, the orange label. My main gripe for both models is the slim taper neck. I think the standard should have the newer slim taper and the original should have something beefier.

4 hours ago, Eric Bram said:

I think it's misleading for Gibson L-00 reproductions made in the 1990s to be advertised as "original" or "vintage" or "true vintage" models. Those words should be used only for Gibson L-00 guitars actually made before the end of WWII.

They had the opportunity to use those terms  way back when and didn’t so I think they’re fair game. 
My L00 is called a 1932 L00 Reissue