Gibson Brands Forums

What year was this SG Standard build?

JeroenD

Hi,

I stumbled upon a second hand SG Standard for a bargain price but the owner isn't giving much info and a few things look a bit different from other standards so I was wondering if anyone knows the year it could be build or if something is not right about this guitar. 

First thing I notice is that there's inlay on the first fret. Second thing there seem to be less screws in the Pickguard then there should be. 

Screenshot_20211011-195448.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-195429.jpg

Edited by JeroenD

Do not buy this. It is counterfeit.

Don’t worry about the serial number when evaluating the legitimacy of a guitar. The counterfeiters use real serial numbers, it is not difficult to look at a real guitar and then print the same number on a fake one.

There are a lot of giveaways here if you’re familiar with Gibson SGs.

I can elaborate on why it’s fake if you want but in the meantime avoid this seller

10 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Do not buy this. It is counterfeit.

Don’t worry about the serial number when evaluating the legitimacy of a guitar. The counterfeiters use real serial numbers, it is not difficult to look at a real guitar and then print the same number on a fake one.

There are a lot of giveaways here if you’re familiar with Gibson SGs.

I can elaborate on why it’s fake if you want but in the meantime avoid this seller

Please elaborate.

The whole thing just does not have the right shapes or curves but it’s a little harder for me to “convince” someone of that based on these pics. For someone who owns an SG and plays it a lot this thing looks weird right out the gate

As others have mentioned, the block inlays and first fret inlay are not correct for the SG standard. Headstock shape, truss rod cover, and logo are also all wrong. Look at the way the pickups are sitting on that sad pickguard

These are bad pics but just look at the nut, frets, and fret ends. The nut is a joke, the frets look skinny, and it looks like they just cut the fret end short of the binding. An Epiphone will absolutely smoke this thing in terms of quality and playability 

the finish looks more like an opaque red paint than a “heritage cherry” finish

Whether you agree with any of the above or not, slotted bridge posts are an indisputable smoking gun that this is fake. 

Even compared to other fakes this thing looks pathetic. I would guess it is basically unplayable. If there is any decent quality to it, it was an accident

9 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The whole thing just does not have the right shapes or curves but it’s a little harder for me to “convince” someone of that based on these pics. For someone who owns an SG and plays it a lot this thing looks weird right out the gate

As others have mentioned, the block inlays and first fret inlay are not correct for the SG standard. Headstock shape, truss rod cover, and logo are also all wrong. Look at the way the pickups are sitting on that sad pickguard

These are bad pics but just look at the nut, frets, and fret ends. The nut is a joke, the frets look skinny, and it looks like they just cut the fret end short of the binding. An Epiphone will absolutely smoke this thing in terms of quality and playability 

the finish looks more like an opaque red paint than a “heritage cherry” finish

Whether you agree with any of the above or not, slotted bridge posts are an indisputable smoking gun that this is fake. 

Even compared to other fakes this thing looks pathetic. I would guess it is basically unplayable. If there is any decent quality to it, it was an accident

Guess my doubts about it are confirmed then. The seller took the add offline and stopped answering after I pressed for serial number and waranty papers. Thx for sharing your wisdom and advice