Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar

Pink_Floyd

Well today I picked up my first Gibson and first ever Les Paul. The finish on the top is actually much nicer than I thought and it plays brilliant with loads of sustain.

Sadly though there is a couple of problems...... When I viewed it last week I noticed something on the side of the nut which turned out to be glue. The dealer was going to have it looked at by the luthier but he must have forgot. So tonight I was looking at it and ran may fingernail across this glue and it chipped off taking some of the neck finish with it...........

It is very minor but I notice some hairline cracks running off it and also some little nicks around the headstock. Obviously you have to look to see it but what worries me is that through time bits are going to chip off??? Put it this way these guitars are £1900 in the UK and it is not what I expect. I could buy a copy with potentially better finish that this. That said maybe this is how all Gibsons are?

Anyway, some pictures,

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0001-4.jpg

Hi all,

It is an 08 standard in Desert Burst. It is on the edge/side of the nut and on the front edges of the headstock. The headstock looks/feels like someone has put tiny dinks in the edge and then painted over them which results in the edge looking and feeling like a saw edge. That is a major exaggeration but you get the idea I hope.

I will try and get some pics but it is hard with camera/light etc.

OK I took another few pics and this is the best of them;

DSC_0006-3.jpg

As you can seen there is a distinct straight line along the neck and binding and then when it gets to the nut there is a u shaped dip, this is where the paint chipped off. To the left of this where the headstock slopes down you can see light running and catching the edge, this is where the little dings are.

Well bit of an update. I took it back into the dealer who whole-heartedly agreed it was not good enough and will go back to Gibson. I am now waiting on news of when I will get another.......=P~

Good move Pink. For what a Standard costs, I would send it back too, it should be pristine...no issues. You say it's an '08? Was it refretted? Frets appear to be over the binding in the picture.

Good move Pink. For what a Standard costs' date=' I would send it back too, it should be pristine...no issues. You say it's an '08? Was it refretted? Frets appear to be over the binding in the picture.[/quote']

Not as far as I am aware. It is an 08, don't get me wrong it played nice but the finish was bad. The more you looked, the more you found. Little things like sanding marks on the fret wire, now I know they are not sanded/plained but you get the idea. For the money those frets should be smooth and shiny not with little grooves in them.

Well bit of an update. I took it back into the dealer who whole-heartedly agreed it was not good enough and will go back to Gibson. I am now waiting on news of when I will get another.......=P~

Its gorgeous! Love the desertburst finish.

I think you have done the right thing. When you are spending that much on a guitar, flaws like that shouldn't exist. Keep us posted!

Ant

Archived