Gibson Brands Forums

Let's see some Strats !!

Tim Plains

Very nice Larry....

Not the best photo but here is my Highway1 HSS.

IMG_1280.jpg

The necks on the two Strats I built came from Highway Ones.

Common over here for people to buy them brand new and then salvage them out.

The parts are worth more than the guitar costs.

I paid around $300 for the neck alone when the whole guitar cost them maybe $500.

They sell the pickups, scratch plate and pots as a unit to drop into an older Strat or you can buy individually.

The American tremolo, the tuners, even the neck plate bring money.

I'm guessing they get way more out of the guitar that way or they wouldn't bother.

If the satin finish doesn't bother you, they are indeed the best value in an American Strat.

Hey Neo, now that I have a 335 I was thinking of upgrading to 3 better quality single coils, maybe a new scratchplate etc. I don't want full on metal tones - I'd like more Dave Gilmour/Eric Clapton type sounds. I'm also beginning to play Albert Lee type stuff as well.

Since you have built your own, any recommendations for replacement pickups?

Cheers

Since you have built your own' date=' any recommendations for replacement pickups?[/quote']

Congrats on the 335!

I love mine.

Well....

On Ebay, the place I got most of my stuff from is called The Stratosphere.

They were the guys parting out those Hwy 1's by the dozens.

I did something different on both Strats I built, the whole reason was to use Fender P-90's and humbuckers.

I suppose you could do a bunch of web research and be dazzled by all the options out there for single coils.

Personally, I would contact Lindy Fralin.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

I have nothing but praise for the guy.

First time I called about getting a Fender humbucker repotted, the guy was busy winding pickups as we spoke on the phone. We made an agreement on the work I wanted, so I asked for his name and he replied "Lindy."

Wow, he even answers his own phone.

I know you're across the pond, but it would be the one place I recommend.

He can get you what you desire as well as anybody else in the USA, and his prices are reasonable for custom winding on a set of single coils. Old-fashioned way of doing business.

If you need me to help from inside the USA I would be glad to.

If you need me to help from inside the USA I would be glad to.

That's very decent of you, thanks.

The 335 is a thing of great greatness. Had it a year but don't play it nearly enough, but I'm working on that.

There's a UK outfit called Bare Knuckle Pickups who do a range of single coils and have a good reputation. I'll do some more research. Really looking forward to upgrading the Highway 1. To answer your earlier question, I like the satin finish, but most of all I love the neck.

Won't fetch much if I sell it hence my idea to upgrade. Then a proper tweed case and noone will know any different!

Thanks again. I'll repost some upgraded pics when the work is done.

Archived