Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 pickguard de-flubberized

BigKahune

55 minutes ago, BigKahune said:

I'm aware Martin vs Gibson issues come up now and then, but it was not my intention to create a Martin bashing.  And, I have never sent a combative or hostile word at you.

I'm not into Gibson vs Martin issues, but I apologize Sgt. Pepper, for commenting on one of Martin's humerous top decorations - which I'm sure they intended to be humerous.

BTW, I love Martins.  I'm a Martin owner:  D-45,  00-15M,  J12-15.  I own guitars from Guild, Taylor, Yamaha, Takamine, Rainsong, Fender, Jackson, Rickenbacker. I'm interested in the sound and play of individual guitars, not which builder is the best or worst.

Life is short, buy the guitar.

Mqqbadx.jpg

Life is short, buy the guitar.

YES!!! 

you've quite a dandy collection   I think that's only a partial family photo..

I'm not mad or upset about the stupid guitars that Martin makes. I've see them in person and on the web. My WTF moment was when you were having an issue with your p/g on a Gibson, yet another member wanted you to post it on the UMGF. What point does that make to Martin owners? Gibson's p/g are too thick and flubbery and that makes Martin look bad how? Oh thats right due to binding and neck resets. 

Every guitar maker says and thinks their guitars are the best, because that is an opinion and an opinion is what it is, and is not a fact, which can be proved or researched and looked up and verified.

Its a fact Jimi Hendrix played Strats among other guitars, that is what he is mostly known for. It is an opinion that Jimi was the, and still is the best guitarist that ever lived. To think in 50 years that someone has not gone beyond what Jimi did and could do is ridiculous. Yet he wins every poll on every magazine everytime they have a poll. I hear Joan Jett is pretty handy with a guitar too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not mad or upset about the stupid guitars that Martin makes. I've see them in person and on the web. My WTF moment was when you were having an issue with your p/g on a Gibson, yet another member wanted you to post it on the UMGF. What point does that make to Martin owners? Gibson's p/g are too thick and flubbery and that makes Martin look bad how? Oh thats right due to binding and neck resets. 

Every guitar maker says and thinks their guitars are the best, because that is an opinion and an opinion is what it is, and is not a fact, which can be proved or researched and looked up and verified.

Its a fact Jimi Hendrix played Strats among other guitars, that is what he is mostly known for. It is an opinion that Jimi was the, and still is the best guitarist that ever lived. To think in 50 years that someone has not gone beyond what Jimi did and could do is ridiculous. Yet he wins every poll on every magazine everytime they have a poll. I hear Joan Jett is pretty handy with a guitar too.

joan jet and jimi in the same paragraph.  

as Artie Johnson would say

Vedy Interesting..

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So my assumption re the “put it on UMGF” comment, was that there are a lot of Gibson owners who frequent that forum, and they would benefit from the information.  

Regardless, when Gibson imperfections become a source of contention on this board, comparisons are frequently made to Martin as the gold standard - which is a holdover myth from the past.  The overall point is that none of these companies are perfect, or produce a perfectly constructed product every time.  They’re simply trying to turn a profit and remain in business, and the days of skilled craftsmen spending their lives with these companies is now long gone.  The guitar-building playing field has leveled in many ways.

But what sets Martin’s binding & neck reset issues apart in the last decade, is that Martin has simply turned a blind eye to these systemic build quality issues.  They won’t acknowledge the problems, and don’t offer their customers a clear path to address these issues should the customer’s guitar suffer one of these fates.  So if you follow the bazillion posts on UMGF regarding the binding issue in particular, Martin owners are typically scrambling to figure out their repair & cost options.  I have seen other companies do this in other fields to avoid recalls or high volume warranty work, and imho it’s not kosher, especially from a company that I believe used to have pride in the build quality of it’s products - but unfortunately seems to have been coasting on it’s reputation for a long time now.

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

So my assumption re the “put it on UMGF” comment, was that there are a lot of Gibson owners who frequent that forum, and they would benefit from the information.  

Regardless, when Gibson imperfections become a source of contention on this board, comparisons are frequently made to Martin as the gold standard - which is a holdover myth from the past.  The overall point is that none of these companies are perfect, or produce a perfectly constructed product every time.  They’re simply trying to turn a profit and remain in business, and the days of skilled craftsmen spending their lives with these companies is now long gone.  The guitar-building playing field has leveled in many ways.

But what sets Martin’s binding & neck reset issues apart in the last decade, is that Martin has simply turned a blind eye to these systemic build quality issues.  They won’t acknowledge the problems, and don’t offer their customers a clear path to address these issues should the customer’s guitar suffer one of these fates.  So if you follow the bazillion posts on UMGF regarding the binding issue in particular, Martin owners are typically scrambling to figure out their repair & cost options.  I have seen other companies do this in other fields to avoid recalls or high volume warranty work, and imho it’s not kosher, especially from a company that I believe used to have pride in the build quality of it’s products - but unfortunately seems to have been coasting on it’s reputation for a long time now.

You are a true gentleman for wanting to do that. Like I’ve said before I’ve owned guitars from Martin from the era of bad binding and neck resets and I have never had those issues. Yet tons of Gibson owners have been here complaining of QA issues as well, and the Gibby owners keep saying “I would keep that with that issue”. So they would rather settle for a  guitar with issues because it their brand is on the headstock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You are a true gentleman for wanting to do that. Like I’ve said before I’ve owned guitars from Martin from the era of bad binding and neck resets and I have never had those issues. Yet tons of Gibson owners have been here complaining of QA issues as well, and the Gibby owners keep saying “I would keep that with that issue”. So they would rather settle for a  guitar with issues because it their brand is on the headstock.

Edit to clarify:  The original comment to put the Flubber Fix on UMGF was not made by me.  I interpreted the poster as saying it would be an opportunity to share information with more Gibson owners.  Regarding the rest of your post:

Unfortunately, those poor folks on the UMGF are continuing to discover these problems randomly when they open their guitar cases, sometimes years after the purchase of their Martin Authentic or other high priced model.  They no longer have an option to return their guitar as if, by comparison, a finish flaw on a new purchase were the concern.  And after years of this occurring, Martin still continues to bury it’s corporate head in the sand.

It’s great that to date you haven’t had any of those issues with your Martins.  I similarly can point towards the immaculate health of the eight Gibson acoustics & nine Gibson electrics I have here at home - along with two very nice Martins.  Both companies have made some great guitars, and both have made some clunkers.  Again, that’s my bottom line point - Martin is inherently no better than Gibson, and Gibson is inherently no better than Martin.  They are simply companies making good guitars.  Find the guitars that work for you & keep you musically satisfied.  And when that happens, (as the former FZ FAN who left this forum vowing never to return, you should know this better than most):  It’s just a matter of shutting up and playing your guitar!

Edited by bobouz
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bobouz said:

Edit to clarify:  The original comment to put the Flubber Fix on UMGF was not made by me.  I interpreted the poster as saying it would be an opportunity to share information with more Gibson owners.  Regarding the rest of your post:

Unfortunately, those poor folks on the UMGF are continuing to discover these problems randomly when they open their guitar cases, sometimes years after the purchase of their Martin Authentic or other high priced model.  They no longer have an option to return their guitar as if, by comparison, a finish flaw on a new purchase were the concern.  And after years of this occurring, Martin still continues to bury it’s corporate head in the sand.

It’s great that to date you haven’t had any of those issues with your Martins.  I similarly can point towards the immaculate health of the eight Gibson acoustics & nine Gibson electrics I have here at home - along with two very nice Martins.  Both companies have made some great guitars, and both have made some clunkers.  Again, that’s my bottom line point - Martin is inherently no better than Gibson, and Gibson is inherently no better than Martin.  They are simply companies making good guitars.  Find the guitars that work for you & keep you musically satisfied.  And when that happens, (as the former FZ FAN who left this forum vowing never to return, you should know this better than most):  It’s just a matter of shutting up and playing your guitar!

I know it was not you who said post it on the umfg. Maybe 40 years wants you to post it on the Let’s Talk Guild, and Taylor’s forum too. He wanted to stir the pot and he certainly did.

I stated  in a post no maker is perfect not Martin, Gibson and the others. Yet you Gibson guys seem to turn a blind eye to all the QA issues of Gibsons, and commonly people post that they would keep the guitar in question with issues instead of return it. That’s great but it isn’t your guitar to keep and no you probably wouldn’t.

Love the Zappa reference and I do indeed play my guitars. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Chief,

"My WTF moment was when you were having an issue with your p/g on a Gibson, yet another member wanted you to post it on the UMGF. "

"...because that is an opinion and an opinion is what it is, and is not a fact, "

You're welcome. 

(Btw,  OP posted a Solution, not an Issue.   )

6 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Chief,

"My WTF moment was when you were having an issue with your p/g on a Gibson, yet another member wanted you to post it on the UMGF. "

"...because that is an opinion and an opinion is what it is, and is not a fact, "

You're welcome. 

(Btw,  OP posted a Solution, not an Issue.   )

I know. When a Ford has let’s say an electrical issue the best place to get the word out is the Chevy forum that is just common sense.

Here is the rub, why would he need a solution if he had no issue?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

UMGF....   UNOFFICIAL.   Not associated with Martin.  Financial Supported by donations.  Several forums clearly invite 'other' guitar maker owners.  One even invites solutions to technical issues.    I'd have thought you'd be happy I gave Martin a plug.  Unofficially. 

Again - if you read either the OPs original post  or my last comment -  it was a solution TO an issue.   

(BTW, thanks for the quick response.) 

45 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

UMGF....   UNOFFICIAL.   Not associated with Martin.  Financial Supported by donations.  Several forums clearly invite 'other' guitar maker owners.  One even invites solutions to technical issues.    I'd have thought you'd be happy I gave Martin a plug.  Unofficially. 

Again - if you read either the OPs original post  or my last comment -  it was a solution TO an issue.   

(BTW, thanks for the quick response.) 

I don’t think either maker needs a plug. 

I know what the 4 letters in the UMGF acronym stands for. Thanks for explaining that like I was 4.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper