Gibson Brands Forums

Good Pre Amp for M1 Passive?

Rosinante

Just picked up a nice J50 50's original.  My plan is to put an M1 Passive in the soundhole and call it done for plug and play.  Can anyone recommend a good point and shoot preamp for this pickup?  I'm also considering the M80 to avoid the external preamp altogether, but I would prefer to have more tone shaping ability than is available with the baggs voiced preamp.  I'm pretty much over K&k, Trance, USTs etc, so please give me preamp recommendations only, or make the case for the M80 vs the M1 passive. Thanks Y'all

Any of the Baggs preamps (Venue, GigPro etc) will jive well with it if you want an affordable and straightforward solution. Fire Eye Red Eye would be a good choice if you want something a little more high end but not too feature heavy. The ultimate in compact hi-fi excellence would probably be the Sunnaudio Stage DI-2 PREstine, an outrageously beautiful sounding pre with a very musical and straightforward feature set.

It would be the Sunnaudio all day long for me.

29 minutes ago, Jinder said:

Any of the Baggs preamps (Venue, GigPro etc) will jive well with it if you want an affordable and straightforward solution. Fire Eye Red Eye would be a good choice if you want something a little more high end but not too feature heavy. The ultimate in compact hi-fi excellence would probably be the Sunnaudio Stage DI-2 PREstine, an outrageously beautiful sounding pre with a very musical and straightforward feature set.

It would be the Sunnaudio all day long for me.

I am leaning to sunnaudio, but that price tag is at the top of my threshhold.  I was thinking Fire Eye for more point and shoot, but wanted to see if others have had luck with that.  If money was no Object I would probably get A Sunrise pickup and pair it with the Prestine...but I am trying to keep the cost low and the setup as simple as possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rosinante said:

I am leaning to sunnaudio, but that price tag is at the top of my threshhold.  I was thinking Fire Eye for more point and shoot, but wanted to see if others have had luck with that.  If money was no Object I would probably get A Sunrise pickup and pair it with the Prestine...but I am trying to keep the cost low and the setup as simple as possible.

I’m a huge Sunrise fan…I have them in three of my guitars and they’ve been the basis of my live sound for years. I have a lot of time for the M1 Passive too, though! 

I tend to view things like preamps as a “buy once, cry once” thing. I use a Boss AD10 which has served me very well indeed, but I need the reverb, delay and looper etc for certain jobs. If it wasn’t for that, I’d pick up a Prestine and feel confident that I’d chosen the best product I could find. The clarity and dynamic headroom in the Sunnaudio stuff is truly astonishing. They play exceptionally well with other pickups, too-the switchable impedance is very useful in that regard.

• Like 1

I’ve used the Baggs M1 passive in my Martin D15, through a Baggs Venue DI with fantastic results. The Venue DI is a great preamp (with a crappy tuner).

I also have a Fire Eye Red Eye and use it for that same setup, as well as with K&K equipped guitars. It works just fine. The Venue just allows for much more tone shaping.  They both cost about the same…. Or close. Especially used.

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I’ve used the Baggs M1 passive in my Martin D15, through a Baggs Venue DI with fantastic results. The Venue DI is a great preamp (with a crappy tuner).

I also have a Fire Eye Red Eye and use it for that same setup, as well as with K&K equipped guitars. It works just fine. The Venue just allows for much more tone shaping.  They both cost about the same…. Or close. Especially used.

hey @SalfromchathamI think have seen some posts of your having used an M80 as well.  How would you compare the two and do you prefer one over the other?  

I like the M80… but it’s overkill if you are going to have a floor preamp anyways… for boost for example.  That’s why I gravitated to the M1 passive.

but if you have a board guy you trust, and don’t need boost for solos, the 80 is great. I like it better than the m1a.

by the way I also like the M1 passive because I like eliminating a battery issue wherever I can. My floor preamps are powered via DC or phantom…. I hate troubleshooting an issue at the 12th hour.

Edited by Salfromchatham

I ended up going for the M80 due to the passive/active ability.  For now most of my playing is going to be at open mics until I get comfortable enough to book shows again and the utility of having an active pickup will be good in those situations.  When I start booking again, I'm thinking then I will be using the pickup in passive and likely get the sunn audio unit for the extra tone shaping capabilities.  When the pickup arrives and I get it installed I will be sure to do a NGD/NPD post.  This J50 is a solid guitar.

• Like 1