Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone with vintage Fender expertise (Jaguar)

kidblast

Just now, ksdaddy said:

In 1996 I bought a 1965 Jazzmaster that had been painted black. They had just sprayed over the original sunburst and I took the time to wet sand it down to the burst. Whatever clearcoat might have been there was gone, but it was better than the Krylon black. Someone had put some kind of Strat pickups under the Jazzmaster covers too. I put a set of Duncans in it. It ended up looking the part when I got done. Then a local resident, who was an extraordinary guitar player and a notorious drunk stopped by to chat about this and that. He saw the Jazzmaster and called the Sheriff's dept, claiming it was his. He claimed it was stolen from him. This ended up in a small claims court battle that lasted about a year and 4 court appearances. I'm skipping over the fine details and some of the more entertaining moments, but I won the case. This story could be several pages. Epilogue: there is no doubt in my mind he once owned the guitar, but gave it away or sold it while plastered.

I sold the guitar about 3 hours after the judge said 'case dismissed'. I wanted no part of it. Every time I opened the case, I would think about the BS I went through for a year, defending my name.

I sold it for $800, which was probably a fair price at the time, given it's finish condition and lack of original pickups.

What an awful story!    Did the drunk say HE'D painted it black?

8 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

What an awful story!    Did the drunk say HE'D painted it black?

I had bought it from the pawn shop. It had been pawned by a sketchy character who was into guitars and also a friend of the drunk.  He never came back for it. I suspect HE was the one who painted it. He likely swapped the pickups out too, hoping to Strat-ify it somewhat. I don't think the drunk was much of a tinkerer. They were drinking buddies and I think he either sold it, gave it, or lent it to the sketchy guy. The drunk died in a car accident a few years later, rear ended by a bus full of migrant workers.

This ended up with a lifelong friendship with the Sheriff's Deputy (later Detective). 

Just now, ksdaddy said:

I had bought it from the pawn shop. It had been pawned by a sketchy character who was into guitars and also a friend of the drunk.  He never came back for it. I suspect HE was the one who painted it. He likely swapped the pickups out too, hoping to Strat-ify it somewhat. I don't think the drunk was much of a tinkerer.

This ended up with a lifelong friendship with the Sheriff's Deputy (later Detective). 

It's an ill-wind that blows no good.

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

In 1996 I bought a 1965 Jazzmaster that had been painted black. They had just sprayed over the original sunburst and I took the time to wet sand it down to the burst. Whatever clearcoat might have been there was gone, but it was better than the Krylon black. Someone had put some kind of Strat pickups under the Jazzmaster covers too. I put a set of Duncans in it. It ended up looking the part when I got done. Then a local resident, who was an extraordinary guitar player and a notorious drunk stopped by to chat about this and that. He saw the Jazzmaster and called the Sheriff's dept, claiming it was his. He claimed it was stolen from him. This ended up in a small claims court battle that lasted about a year and 4 court appearances. I'm skipping over the fine details and some of the more entertaining moments, but I won the case. This story could be several pages. Epilogue: there is no doubt in my mind he once owned the guitar, but gave it away or sold it while plastered.

I sold the guitar about 3 hours after the judge said 'case dismissed'. I wanted no part of it. Every time I opened the case, I would think about the BS I went through for a year, defending my name.

I sold it for $800, which was probably a fair price at the time, given it's finish condition and lack of original pickups.

In our lovely justice system the criminals have more rights than the victims. And that is the way the team with the blue jerseys want it. 

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

I would have done the same.  

I was in a band once with a guy (Bass player) that stole a custom ordered Jackson 6 string from the other guitar player's best friend. 

He tried to sell it at the same music store where the store owner and the only Jackson dealer in the area had ordered it from.  The store owner knew it had been stolen, and he identified it as the one he placed the order for immediately even though it also had been repainted.  He didn't take the guitar back in but he did call his customer and told him who had his guitar

(Small town, everyone knew everyone, so this bass player was a thief, AND an idiot.)

The guy shows up at our rehearsal space with a few of his friends wanting to speak with this guy.  He professed he was innocent, but we all knew that store owner

That guy was a straight shooter.  If he said that was "Jack's" guitar, you can know for sure it was.  I quit the band that night as did Bob, (who was best friends with Jack). 

Wasn't about to be associated with a dude like that and no way was I stickin around for the soap opera that was about to take place.

10 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I would have done the same.  

I was in a band once with a guy (Bass player) that stole a custom ordered Jackson 6 string from the other guitar player's best friend. 

He tried to sell it at the same music store where the store owner and the only Jackson dealer in the area had ordered it from.  The store owner knew it had been stolen, and he identified it as the one he placed the order for immediately even though it also had been repainted.  He didn't take the guitar back in but he did call his customer and told him who had his guitar

(Small town, everyone knew everyone, so this bass player was a thief, AND an idiot.)

The guy shows up at our rehearsal space with a few of his friends wanting to speak with this guy.  He professed he was innocent, but we all knew that store owner

That guy was a straight shooter.  If he said that was "Jack's" guitar, you can know for sure it was.  I quit the band that night as did Bob, (who was best friends with Jack). 

Wasn't about to be associated with a dude like that and no way was I stickin around for the soap opera that was about to take place.

Damn Bass Players!

On 2/7/2022 at 8:22 AM, ksdaddy said:

A long time ago when I was still into Drag Racing the NHRA, I sold my first race car. It actually was my graduation present that I drove on the street for several years before I turned it into a race car. I sold it to someone I knew. That guy had the gumption to take me to court and tried to get me to pay all the back taxes on the the plates and update the car.  Haha, No Way. I knew this kid had a loosing case. I explained to the judge, it was not a street car and had None of the legal requirements to be driven on the street. No headlights or taillights, The windows were up permenantly and the hood came off with duz  fasteners. Anyway, sure enough, he lost and so I had all that stuff scraped so he couldn't get it. 

If it’s authentic I’d restore it.. I’m not sure but I think you can have a new fretboard installed if you want to keep it as close to authentic as possible. Also, restore or use all USA Fender Parts..

People pay a lot to have relic’d finishes like that… Although, I’d probably refinish to like new if it were mine..

I own a Candy Apple Red USA Fender AV65 Jaguar & think they are great Guitars! 

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

If it’s authentic I’d restore it.. I’m not sure but I think you can have a new fretboard installed if you want to keep it as close to authentic as possible. Also, restore or use all USA Fender Parts..

People pay a lot to have relic’d finishes like that… Although, I’d probably refinish to like new if it were mine..

I own a Candy Apple Red USA Fender AV65 Jaguar & think they are great Guitars! 

I'll keep the neck and if there's ever the chance to restore it I'd consider it. 

I'll put Fender JAG Pickups back in there for sure will use Fender parts when ever possible.

About the refinish, I will test removingfrom a small inconspicuous spot, (like under the pickguard) that should give an idea of how the rest of the task might go.  If I do get it off, Sea Foam green high gloss is the plan.

if the finish is going to be a bear, I may just see how good I can clean up what's there and start on the electronics.

Here is the link to Angela's Parts. If they don't have it, China doesn't make it.

https://www.angela.com/guitarparts.aspx

I put Seymore Duncan Antiquity Jazz Master pups in the JM, and the other were probably Rio Grandes from a Texas company.

This guy know a little something about a pickup. If you gotta have Fender then you gotta. I'd go with Lindy's. And his shop is up the street in Richmond.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/jaguar/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, kidblast said:

I'll keep the neck and if there's ever the chance to restore it I'd consider it. 

I'll put Fender JAG Pickups back in there for sure will use Fender parts when ever possible.

About the refinish, I will test removingfrom a small inconspicuous spot, (like under the pickguard) that should give an idea of how the rest of the task might go.  If I do get it off, Sea Foam green high gloss is the plan.

if the finish is going to be a bear, I may just see how good I can clean up what's there and start on the electronics.

Keep us updated.. Very Cool Project! 

7 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I don't know the backstory but I came into ownership of a 1969 Super Reverb silver face with the drip edge.  I guess someone at some point wanted it to look more like a Marshall.  Badly spray painted black across whole grill cloth and drip edge.  I've tried to remove it but I think the grill just needs to be replaced.  Still sounds great, looks terrible.  

I recently ( a couple of years ago) got my dad's old Princton Reverb amp ,  (1970 or '71, I think).

I had it completely rebuilt.... chassis rebuilt, new tubes, speaker even a new power chord....but I didn't touch the outside....the Tolex and grill cloth is just the way my dad left them!

No photo description available.

40 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Might be better!

yea it could be..  things are starting to move forward. 

The rebuild parts are arriving and I'm almost ready to start the refinishing work, 

I will be able to do that at a friend of my son's auto body shop.  Who offered to clear coat and buff it out for me too.