Gibson Brands Forums

LG-1 vs LG-2

jibberish

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Ah, at last someone sensible is taking the boring as snores X bracing off and replacing it with lovely ladder bracing! 😑

In truth but a fair bit higher up the food chain, my Waterloo X and my Waterloo Ladder are equals and impossible to leave alone. .........the ladder just sings and cries with lead notes though. I went to sleep in my chair last night re-watching the glorious Reacher mini series on Amazon.....but I woke to Spoonful and Wolf on the soundtrack in the early hours - the streaming shows will keep going to the end without you! But just then I played around with Spoonful on my ladder, lead notes mimicking the vocal line and then the riffs.......perfect!

Ladder rules, ok! Don’t alter it.

BluesKing777.

My rare as hen's teeth 1930s Oscar Schmit-made Galiano Jumbo remains my favorite ladder braced guitar.  At the moment though it is off the road having finally reached the point where I can no longer put off the repairs it needs.  Next in line is the Harmony Sovereign H1260. Thunderous low end with an overall punchy and up front sound.  

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

My rare as hen's teeth 1930s Oscar Schmit-made Galiano Jumbo remains my favorite ladder braced guitar.  At the moment though it is off the road having finally reached the point where I can no longer put off the repairs it needs.  Next in line is the Harmony Sovereign H1260. Thunderous low end with an overall punchy and up front sound.  

1 or 2 H1260s for sale on Reverb.com if you want another, or anyone else wants one!

I have gone the other way today, grabbed my Eric 000, just beautiful! (Can’ really say that about my ladders, love as I do...)

BluesKing777.

12 minutes ago, jedzep said:

God...I've waited silently.  Finally, the honesty!!

Speaking honestly.....I have the ‘100 Most Popular Songs For Fingerpicking’ AND ‘100 Most Beautiful Songs For Fingerpicking’., and while the arrangements are good, the pages lay flat etc, there IS some ‘publisher padding’ going on, let me say! I mean, if I haven’t heard it, like ever....it sure isn’t the ‘most popular’ anything.....padding for royalties? Voted most beautiful by a 3 year old?

But anyhow, when the Most Beautiful book comes out, the Lowden S35, my Cargill and my Eric are probably the choice......

And the LG1 would be .....silly.

There you go, JZ.

BluesKing777.

12 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

1 or 2 H1260s for sale on Reverb.com if you want another, or anyone else wants one!

I have gone the other way today, grabbed my Eric 000, just beautiful! (Can’ really say that about my ladders, love as I do...)

BluesKing777.

There is always a Harmony H1260 for sale somewhere.  I have managed to end up with three of them.  But if you look in the dictionary under "Guitar with good bones" these show up.  Tops which would make any 18 Series Martin green with envy and one piece 16 1/8" wide mahogany backs.

Last night for me was a 12 and 13 fret Gibson feast.  My mood as of late has been to re-learn songs I had not even thought about in a long time settling on Mance Lipscomb's "Captain, Captain" and Blind Boy Fuller's "Meat Shakin'  Woman."  Started off with the L1 and then switched to the L3.  

Edited by zombywoof

13 hours ago, zombywoof said:

There is always a Harmony H1260 for sale somewhere.  I have managed to end up with three of them.  But if you look in the dictionary under "Guitar with good bones" these show up.  Tops which would make any 18 Series Martin green with envy and one piece 16 1/8" wide mahogany backs.

Last night for me was a 12 and 13 fret Gibson feast.  My mood as of late has been to re-learn songs I had not even thought about in a long time settling on Mance Lipscomb's "Captain, Captain" and Blind Boy Fuller's "Meat Shakin'  Woman."  Started off with the L1 and then switched to the L3.  

If you want some ..simple/easy/very hard....all at once - here is a link to Mississippi John Hurt tabs you can plod through at your own pace in Songsterr.com...if you click on his name in blue, there is a list of his tabs. Yep, simple but hard! And sound great with capo on 3 as we talked about....

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/mississippi-john-hurt-i-shall-not-be-moved-tab-s423028

BluesKing777.

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

If you want some ..simple/easy/very hard....all at once - here is a link to Mississippi John Hurt tabs you can plod through at your own pace in Songsterr.com...if you click on his name in blue, there is a list of his tabs. Yep, simple but hard! And sound great with capo on 3 as we talked about....

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/mississippi-john-hurt-i-shall-not-be-moved-tab-s423028

BluesKing777.

While I tend to run hot and cold on Mississippi John I recently bought a copy of his "Last Sessions" LP.  My favorite John Hurt tune to play though is "Spike Driver Blues" which I do in Open G6 tuning.  While I used to be able to work my way through a few of his songs the only other one I play regularly is "Coffee Blues" because my wife really likes it.  With me it is not so much how easy or hard a song is to play but I seem to be attracted to those which I can throw a basketful of fills into.  Generally, some kind of take on the melody line.  At times I keep the bass going while at others I toss it away in favor of single string lines or a moving chord line.   It helps keep me on my toes.

Edited by zombywoof

Yes, if you played his songs 'straight' at a gig perhaps, they don't go very long! They cry out to make a patchwork of a few of the tunes, in C, into a longer medley...stretch the solo gig out by a while...then launch in to a C solo, no bass...morph into the gospel melody of 'Since I Laid My Burden Down' in single notes, then a bit of soloing and come in with a barnstorming chorus, ala the holy rollers dancing down the aisle, with the bass notes, which are pretty much the same in most of his tunes so you could do a bit more...medley....and look out, half an hour or so has gone by..... (and the guy with the beard in the front row table sitting there with his mouth open falls over....)...😁

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

It is easier to do it that talk about it!

Here is a condensed version of what I was talking about in the previous post - (alternating bass blues medley plus in C capo on 3 etc)

Select 'play in browser' or similar to prevent going to Soundcloud sign up page!:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Yes, if you played his songs 'straight' at a gig perhaps, they don't go very long! They cry out to make a patchwork of a few of the tunes, in C, into a longer medley...stretch the solo gig out by a while...then launch in to a C solo, no bass...morph into the gospel melody of 'Since I Laid My Burden Down' in single notes, then a bit of soloing and come in with a barnstorming chorus, ala the holy rollers dancing down the aisle, with the bass notes, which are pretty much the same in most of his tunes so you could do a bit more...medley....and look out, half an hour or so has gone by..... (and the guy with the beard in the front row table sitting there with his mouth open falls over....)...😁

BluesKing777.

Geez, your playing always impresses the heck out of me because it is so precise.  I am undisciplined to the point of taking me perilously close to sloppy,  When I do a quick slide on a note it is not always planned but to cover up a mistake.

Guys like John Hurt and Mance Lipscomb do come off as sounding deceptively simple when compared to the likes of a Scrapper Blackwell or Curley Weaver.  But if you listen to particularly live recording there is often a lot more going on than what you may pick up on in a first listen.

Edited by zombywoof

Thanks Murph and ZW!

As soon as the red recording light came on, I turned into the old smilin' tap dancer entertainer guitarist and ...changed everything I was working on! 🙂

But the track is close to sort of what I was talking about earlier. (Waterloo WL-14L ladder braced guitar in the track, by the way...)

BluesKing777.