Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Southern Jumbo (backordered)

JB7

On 3/4/2022 at 11:20 PM, MissouriPicker said:

Yep, just play it and don’t sweat “the old wives”tales.   So long as you’re treating it like a valued guitar, it will be fine.  Take it to gigs or somewhere outside your house.    Have fun.  That’s what it’s for.

Good advice.  Technically, of course, nitro does not "cure" as there is no chemical reaction involved.  It simply dries.  What they shoot these days is not your grandfather's lacquer and it will dry to the point the guitar is safe to transport in about 15 minutes.  As a rule of thumb about the only precaution I would take is not to buff the guitar until you can no longer smell the lacquer.

While I do not know why in 55+ years I have only ever owned one Southerner Jumbo.  And that one dated to 1956.  It is the guitar which above all others I regret letting go of as it still haunts me.  But if nothing else it did teach me a lesson.

Edited by zombywoof

On 3/5/2022 at 12:27 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe we are being lied to about the great guitar shortage? To increase prices.

Yes got me to thinking and to answer another poster question on vendors….my serial number was the 33 Sj built that day and on the 31st day of the year, the previous one I had returned was built first of december and was l believe above the 100th sj guitar built that day (I assuming the serial number is numbered in succession for a batch of southern jumbos and not just whatever acoustic they are making at the time, if I am wrong on this then I guess my argument is kinda mute)…..so if this is true, where are all the guitars being made, do they have a room Full of southern jumbos not sent out….made reservations at GC, SW, and Sam ash, GC said august availability, SW said may/June availability, Sam ash had no idea but they were the one that received the guitar within a couple of weeks (they don’t even have the guitar listed on there website, I just called and asked about it and he said he would try to order it)….GC told me they were only being allotted 12 southern jumbo guitars in the whole country this year which is crazy low for the largest retailer in my opinion, so if they get 12, say SW only gets 12, Sam ash doesn’t usually sell it, zzounds may get some, so where are all the rest that’s been made, per my serial number they should be producing over a 100 per day….I’m just thankful Sam ash must have a ordering agent with a good relationship with Gibson and the guitar turned out to be a great sounding guitar….

1 hour ago, JB7 said:

Yes got me to thinking and to answer another poster question on vendors….my serial number was the 33 Sj built that day and on the 31st day of the year, the previous one I had returned was built first of december and was l believe above the 100th sj guitar built that day (I assuming the serial number is numbered in succession for a batch of southern jumbos and not just whatever acoustic they are making at the time, if I am wrong on this then I guess my argument is kinda mute)…..so if this is true, where are all the guitars being made, do they have a room Full of southern jumbos not sent out….made reservations at GC, SW, and Sam ash, GC said august availability, SW said may/June availability, Sam ash had no idea but they were the one that received the guitar within a couple of weeks (they don’t even have the guitar listed on there website, I just called and asked about it and he said he would try to order it)….GC told me they were only being allotted 12 southern jumbo guitars in the whole country this year which is crazy low for the largest retailer in my opinion, so if they get 12, say SW only gets 12, Sam ash doesn’t usually sell it, zzounds may get some, so where are all the rest that’s been made, per my serial number they should be producing over a 100 per day….I’m just thankful Sam ash must have a ordering agent with a good relationship with Gibson and the guitar turned out to be a great sounding guitar….

I just looked on Reverb, as many authorized sellers list there too. There were only 2 - 2022's on the site. Not sure how Gibson does their serial numbers any more, and I don't keep up with the day to day change of their system. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just looked on Reverb, as many authorized sellers list there too. There were only 2 - 2022's on the site. Not sure how Gibson does their serial numbers any more, and I don't keep up with the day to day change of their system. 

The 2022 I recently received has the same numbering scheme.