Gibson Brands Forums

Epi wanted for a newbie as a gift

Rabs

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

Ok.. So we have a win here I think.

We went to two different shops today..  The first one we tried out an Epi Sg..  But as it was an inspired by Gibson one it was almost £500  😮  In that shop the had the Schecter that she liked and a few other super strat types but I just wasnt happy. There was an Ibanez we tried, It was ok but nothing special.. They did have some really nice semi hollows at a decent price, some I really liked but Betssie didnt like the shape at all (probably looks like an old mans guitar to her).

So we went to the second shop, Instantly there was another Ibanez which was B stock so a great price but it had a locking nut and proper floyd system with micro tuners on the back.. So I just didnt think it was right for a first timer, it will just confuse her. We also looked at a BEAUTIFUL Squire Tele that was sparkly red and had two humbuckers and a matching coloured headstock.

But in the end this is what we wend for. (and man how she has changed in a year huh). And I am REALLY happy with that choice. If only I had such a nice guitar when I started out.

XJp7n95.jpg

Also got a nice hybrid soft/hard case..  And when it came to the amp. I was gonna go with a Marshall MG15fx which is what I had for many years BUT, in all honesty I thought it sounded awful.  So we ended up with a Fender Champion 20 I think.. Man that thing sounds great.

So all done..  Next up if she carries on playing I will make her any guitar she wants.

At under 6 lbs I think it would be great for a kid, I got my first new Coronet when I was 14 in 64 and a 61 Wilshire a year and a half later.

And   ……   its all real wood with no veneer and one piece neck

znE1Tcx.jpg

I got an aftermarket SG case for my 2020 version which compares very well to my USA built Wilshire I had 60 years ago.

B9MGFcc.jpg

1 minute ago, mihcmac said:

At under 6 lbs I think it would be great for a kid, I got my first new Coronet when I was 14 in 64 and a 61 Wilshire a year and a half later.

And   ……   its all real wood with no veneer and one piece neck

I got an aftermarket SG case for my 2020 version which compares very well to my USA built Wilshire I had 60 years ago.

Yeah. I think it was a better choice than the Tele..  And for the price a really nice guitar... Its the kind of guitar you could have for as long as you look after it. As I said. I would have been more than happy with that for my first.

• Thanks 1