Gibson Brands Forums

Learning curve of an E-bow?

Lars68

I’m looking to add some atmosphere and variety to my singer-songwriter type acoustic recordings using an electric guitar and an E-bow. I’m thinking that I could play single string root notes to follow the chords of the song. I want to use this as a background sound to songs with acoustic guitar and vocals. No solos or fancy stuff. 

How difficult would this be to learn? I’ve never tried an E-bow…

Here is what it can sound like with someone who knows what they are doing. I like the sound.

Lars

Edited by Lars68

• Lars68 changed the title to Learning curve of an E-bow?

Not difficult at all - if you can pluck a note then you can "ebow". I will say the high and low E string (if that's your primary root note) is the most difficult to align.  My go to setting was neck pickup with the tone all the way down and use the G and B strings.  

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buying an e-bow, or to be more specific the Joyo Sustainer (same type of device but about half price). Turns out it was very, very easy to use and it can turn out all types of tones and sounds. It is going to be very useful for me in adding backgrounds to my acoustic songs, without having to learn new instruments. I like it a LOT!

Here is an example where I added it in the background to one of my older songs.

Lars

6 minutes ago, Murph said:

Pretty cool, Lars. 

Kind of a mix between a synth and an organ.

Yep, and it can sound many different ways depending on what I’m looking for. This was played on the bridge pickup of a Tele with quite a bit of gain and a hint of delay from two pedals, into a clean small 5w Fender amp. I then stuck the ETL Myrtle mic in front. It literally took me longer to figure out where on the fingerboard the notes I wanted to play are, than playing and recording the passages. This is a tool I will definitely use on more songs.

Thanks for listening!

Lars

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This being the acoustic section, and I have never used one, does an E-bow work on an acoustic guitar?

Yes, it can be done on an acoustic, but it takes a little longer to get the vibrations going (using electric guitar strings should help).

By the way, I ran across this surprisingly great cover of a famous e-bow song.

Lars