Gibson Brands Forums

59 neck vs 60s

callen3615

Whats the difference?

I assume the 59 in thicker, but is it as thick as the 50s?

I have one gibson, a 61 sg.

Im saving for a les paul. I cant play the 50s neck, its just too uncomfortable.

I want a standard faded but I doubt I can find one with a 60s neck. I was looking at the traditionals.

Thanks.

I am not sure there is much difference between a "50's neck" and "59 neck" they are both pretty beefy compared to the neck on your SG. You could look for a used Les Paul Classic or check out the Les Paul Traditional Pro they are selling on Musicians Friend and Guitar Center both of those have a 60's neck profile. You might be surprised though, I never thought I could get used to a 50's neck profile and now I might even prefer it. Hope that helped. :)

Its a bit of a trade off...

The thicker neck has more natural sustain. The 60's slim has a better feel but doesnt have as much uumph!

At least thats my opinion.

Wonderful. But...if I buy a guitar with a 50s neck I would never play it. I played a couple VOSs in GC today. I also played a couple classics with 60s necks. The classics felt comfortable, the VOS felt bulky and made me play alot slower.

Gibson Custom Shop's '50s neck is much fatter than Gibson USA's '50s neck.

I doubt you'll like the Traditional because I believe they're all '50s necks.

If you're willing to buy a Standard Faded off eBay, I'm sure you'll find one with a '60s neck. Just have to be patient.

Gibson Custom Shop's '50s neck is much fatter than Gibson USA's '50s neck.

I doubt you'll like the Traditional because I believe they're all '50s necks.

If you're willing to buy a Standard Faded off eBay' date=' I'm sure you'll find one with a '60s neck. Just have to be patient.[/quote']

I think Im gonna wait and find a 60s neck faded.

I prefer the 60 neck, I have it on several Gibsons.

People laugh when I tell 'em that - really!

I'm a pretty big guy, so I guess they think I'm joking.

I sold my first two Les Paul Standards partly because of the 50's neck.

Never got used to it on the first one and sold it.

Later bought another Ebony LP Standard thinking I would get used to it - nope.

Played skinny necks for a few years and then bought my Guild BluesBird (LP copy) and finally adjusted to it.

No big deal now, but I still lean toward the slimmer profile.

I don't find a huge difference in feel between a 59 neck and a 60 neck, at least not on the VOS models I've tried. Now, compare a 57 neck to a 60, and it's baseball bat vs. hockey stick! To me, the 59 feels right.

I don't own any VOS guitars myself though. I wish! But I do have three Gibsons with 50s necks, and a Classic with the 60s neck and an SG. I alternate between the five when I play, and I don't have any problems adjusting from on to the other. If anything, the difference in the body weights takes more getting used to.

Archived