Gibson Brands Forums

Nice old J45 on the bench

ksdaddy

I was flattered that a guy drove 60 miles to hand over his '57 J45 for repair. The bridge had split and it was glued 30 years or so ago. The bridge plate is bad and the top is bulged. Other than that it has held up nicely.

New bridge, bridge plate, plugging the jack hole in the side. It'll be here a while.

And my life has purpose again.[-o</

I've had some people encourage me to put some of my repairs onto my web site. I'll try a few, see if there's any hits or response. Here's the beginning of this one:

http://www.angelfire.com/me4/ksdaddy/repair_j45.html

Not a huge amount going on as I've only had it overnight. I think I'm more concerned about hiding the screw holes in the top from the pickup that was installed 40 years ago....

That is beautiful work! If I get an old one, I think you may hear from me.

My favorite part of your repair website is the page on the "decapitated Yamaha":

Here is a victim of domestic abuse, a Yamaha acoustic that was thrown at her husband/boyfriend... whatever. Not sure if the trailer walls sustained any damage. I repaired it as you can see, then a few months later found out it suffered a repeat performance. I kindly declined the repeat business.

Archived