Gibson Brands Forums

Standard in White???

1773lx

he did say it was made in 2000.

so thats 8 years that that guitar has potentially been around.

my Gibson is a 2001 and is FAR from stock at this point.

sperzels

bigsby

stripped and waxed

totally different bridge set up.

I understand the frustration that this flood of counterfeits has created.

but maybe a little more info on where the guitar was bought' date=' was it a private sale?

used from a local store?

maybe a pic of the interior electronics cavity?

a little soon to "yell fire in a crowded theater".

[/quote']

You dont need more info or a pic of the control cavity to tell that POS is fake. Are you blind? :D

Take a look at the headstock, look at where the word 'model' is on the top one compared to the bottom one...

12102007046.jpg

PA100070.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AS90,

You really cannot go by where the word "Model" appears. Look at Gibson's website at the Gibson Les Paul Standard

Now look at a Gibson Custom Shop, their "Model" appears higher up on the headstock as seen here '58 Les Paul VOS

If you look closely at the 2 links, the VOS has a higher truss rod cover (not too close to the nut on '58 and '59, not so on '60) to go along with the higher "Les Paul Model" signature. The Gibson Standard has a lower "Les Paul Model" signature along with the truss rod cover almost touching the nut.

it is a fake, just look at the bridge... and the sticker on the back... and lots of other things... anyway it is better than the ones before... 3 screw trcs are gone... as i said in a recent thread: "they are getting better at this" (thinking about buying a gibson? read it!)

Anyway i really like the guitar (a standard in white...hm...) in this one you can still see the epi style bridge.

is it me or the only guitars that have "les paul" written on the trc are the ones with no "les paul" written on the headstock? (i.e. the custom).

Nope, some have it written on despite the signature on headstock, for example Les Paul KM or Les Paul Heritage

Thundergod,

None of my standards or Custom Shop Standard Re-issues have "Les Paul" on the truss rod cover. All of my customs, including Custom Shop Re-issues, have it. The exceptions are my Signature and Limited Editions. They have special stuff!

OK, thank you guys for all your answers, suggestions and considerations!

Now let me tell you more about it:

I bought it "used" (mint conditions) several months ago from a private young guy who had received it as a present from US uncles (Boston, this is what he said).

Low price for a Standard and most like for a Studio.

Before buying it, the guy was interested himself in knowing if the guitar was real or not, since the HardShell was certainly suspect.

So he let me take my luthier with me for a deep inspection before reaching a possible agreement.

Luthier is guitar-player and teacher too, and by the way has got a Custom LP (original for sure) - he couldn't believe his fingers and his ears, assuming the price.

We followed all the tips showed in "how to recognize a fake LP", he watched the PU's from inside and he inspected the wires and even the weldings: definetely Gibson stuff and Gibson made.

He (the luthier) told me he would have bought it if I did not: no way - it's a real one and it plays and sounds GREAT!

What else? Well, the price was good enough - and I obtained a further reduction.

You know what convinced me in buying it?

The colour - for two reasons.

1. it's astonishing - a White Standard...

2. if I had to produce a fake, would I choose that "inexistant" colour?

So it seemed to us a sort of "out of serie" piece.

Certainly never seen one hereby.

This is the main reason I asked if anybody had ever the chance of seeing a similar one.

You kindly gave your responses and some doubts remain.

Just like the guitar remains at home - admired by everybody...

Thank you once more!

I bought it "used" (mint conditions) several months ago from a private young guy who had received it as a present from US uncles (Boston, this is what he said).

Before buying it, the guy was interested himself in knowing if the guitar was real or not, since the HardShell was certainly suspect.

So he let me take my luthier with me for a deep inspection before reaching a possible agreement.

Luthier is guitar-player and teacher too, and by the way has got a Custom LP (original for sure) - he couldn't believe his fingers and his ears, assuming the price.

We followed all the tips showed in "how to recognize a fake LP", he watched the PU's from inside and he inspected the wires and even the weldings: definetely Gibson stuff and Gibson made.

He (the luthier) told me he would have bought it if I did not: no way - it's a real one and it plays and sounds GREAT!

What else? Well, the price was good enough - and I obtained a further reduction.

1. it's astonishing - a White LesPaul...

So it seemed to us a sort of "out of serie" guitar.

This is the main reason I asked if anybody had ever the chance of seeing a similar one.

Thank you once more!

1. it's astonishing - a White LesPaul...

So it seemed to us a sort of "out of serie" guitar.

Thank you once more!

Your luthier hasn't got a clue Im afraid, its definatly fake. If you call Gibson they will confirm it.

AS90' date='

You really cannot go by where the word "Model" appears. Look at Gibson's website at the Gibson Les Paul Standard

Now look at a Gibson Custom Shop, their "Model" appears higher up on the headstock as seen here '58 Les Paul VOS

If you look closely at the 2 links, the VOS has a higher truss rod cover (not too close to the nut on '58 and '59, not so on '60) to go along with the higher "Les Paul Model" signature. The Gibson Standard has a lower "Les Paul Model" signature along with the truss rod cover almost touching the nut.

I see, both of mine are the same as the bottom one. I would have though they would all be the same. :P

Steve Stevens of Billy Idol fame plays a white Standard' date=' but that one you have looks a little askew to me, the pegheads all wrong, the pickguard looks funny too, the pickup surrounds are fatter than they should be, ala Epiphone, I have an Epi, and to put it alongside my Goldtop you can see differences all over the place. To answer your question, yes they make a white Standard. Is yours a Gibson? I don't think it is.[/quote']

Thank you for your answer: transparent and not ironical!

2. if I had to produce a fake' date=' would I choose that "inexistant" colour?[/quote']

1773lx,

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with everybody - your LP looks like a fake. The first thing I noticed on it was the binding...or lack there of. I have never seen a white LP Standard, Custom & Studio yes, but Standard no.

If you're happy with it and don't care what everybody here is telling you, then just enjoy that guitar. But it I were you, I'd be removing the pickups and getting on the horn with Gibson immediately!

Why would he choose that "inexistant" colour? So he can pass it off as "rare" is my guess.

1773lx' date='

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with everybody - your LP looks like a fake. The first thing I noticed on it was the binding...or lack there of. I have never seen a white LP Standard, Custom & Studio yes, but Standard no.

If you're happy with it and don't care what everybody here is telling you, then just enjoy that guitar. But it I were you, I'd be removing the pickups and getting on the horn with Gibson immediately!

Why would he choose that "inexistant" colour? So he can pass it off as "rare" is my guess.[/quote']

TY, good answer for choice of a white from a fake-maker standpoint.

Yes I'm still happy with it.

Only - what "getting on the horn with" means exactly?

Sorry I don't know a lot of your idiomatic sentences...

Ciao from Italy

Not at all. You asked an opinion' date=' and got quite a few, seems pretty "concrete" to me, I wasn't being at all vague.[/quote']

Yes, opinions have been raining hereby since yesterday.

At the end of the day I looked for them...

But while I could feel some satisfied-over-criticism in almost all the others (oh poor country-boy he didn't recognized an evident fake), yours were - how can I say - fair: face-to-face.

That's all.

This is the reason why I thank you once more.

Archived