Gibson Brands Forums

Recognise this 1960s Gibson?

Quarter-sawn

This 12-fret acoustic is apparently a Gibson. It's being played in the photos by Mike Heron of the Incredible String Band in around 1964/65. It has an unusual triangular or "D"-shaped sound hole and what appears to be heart-shaped fingerboard inlays. Does anybody recognise it?. No better photos of the headstock unfortunately.

Guitar1.jpeg

Guitar2.jpeg

Guitar3.jpeg

Guitar4.jpeg

Guitar5.jpeg

Lawdy, I was a big ISB fan.  Bought all their LPs and recall them playing the Fillmore East.  

Prior to 1966 when Gibson came out with the F25, Kalamazoo had not built a small body 12 fretter since 1932.   And if it is a Gibson, somewhere along the way it has obviously been highly customized.   In some of the photos, the body shape does bring a smaller, rounded lower bout pre-1929 L1 to mind.  Heron, as pretty much every UK folkie in the 1960s, was known to play guitars built by John Bailey so he certainly could have had the luthier re-work an old Gibson for him.  But I do not have near a good enough eye to tell much of anything without more detailed pics.  So hopefully somebody else will chime in on this one.

Edited by zombywoof

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Heron, as pretty much every UK folkie in the 1960s, was known to play guitars built by John Bailey so he certainly could have had the luthier re-work an old Gibson for him.  But I do not have near a good enough eye to tell much of anything without more detailed pics.  So hopefully somebody else will chime in on this one.

Here's a John Bailey made for Al Stewart as early as 1967. 

ONF1Fo2.jpg

Such a hip label ~