Gibson Brands Forums

NCDD

Sgt. Pepper

This came today. 2 CD set 50th Anniversary. I have on preorder the last show of the Grateful Dead's Europe '72 Tour recorded at the Lyceum Theater. Europe '72 is getting re- released next month on vinyl, CD, and colored vinyl (which is all sold out). I have my original vinyl, but may get the CD. They released Madman on CD, a 4 LP set, a blue and white colored vinyl album, and just the LP on black vinyl. If you got Madman, Tumbleweed and Yellow Brick Road, you got Elton's best work, IMHO.

ANGIUuQ.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I agree with that last sentence.  I still have that vinyl of "Madman", but never did get around to the CD reissue.

And one of my favorite EJ releases that  predates those three(as far as U.S. releasing goes) is 11-17-70 (recorded live in a New York radio station with a small audience in attendance).  I still have the vinyl as well as the CD reissue.

But I'd like to get a CD reissue(if existing) of his first LP simply titled ELTON JOHN released in the UK in 1969, but not here in the States until '75.  

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I agree with that last sentence.  I still have that vinyl of "Madman", but never did get around to the CD reissue.

And one of my favorite EJ releases that  predates those three(as far as U.S. releasing goes) is 11-17-70 (recorded live in a New York radio station with a small audience in attendance).  I still have the vinyl as well as the CD reissue.

But I'd like to get a CD reissue(if existing) of his first LP simply titled ELTON JOHN released in the UK in 1969, but not here in the States until '75.  

Whitefang

I have Elton John - Elton John on vinyl too. I think its the one with Your Song on it. I have most of his studio stuff on vinyl up to Blue Moves. He was a Coc'ed out washed up shell of his former self. I think his downhill spiral was in full swing by Yellow Brick Road, and by Blue Moves the magic was long over.

Well, he lost me when he started dressing up like Donald Duck and Marie Antoinette on stage. 

In the summer of '72  I saw him on a TV special hosted by Keith  Moon called The Beach Boys at The Hollywood Bowl.  EJ was playing keys for 'em. 

Whitefang

On 6/13/2022 at 1:16 AM, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Elton's very first album is actually 'Empty Sky' released in 1969 - the self titled 'Elton John' album was released in 1970 .. and is excellent.

I believe the 11-17-70 album has been re-released with much more songs than the original album.

Edited by Brucebubs
  • Thanks 1

The album with Funeral for a Friend was my favorite. I liked Roy Rogers, Sweet Painted Lady, and I’ve Seen That Movie Too. The intro to the album is awesome. EJ does have some pretty good stuff. But yeah I can see how dressing up like Donald Duck can put someone off. But I’m not a huge EJ guy at all. I can appreciate the work he has done that is good though. 

• Like 1

Yeah, his outlandish costumes were legend.

I remember the MUPPET SHOW he was a guest on.  All the Muppets dressed up in the most outrageous costumes imaginable in anticipation of Elton John being on the show, and did so  to not make him uncomfortable being the only one dressed so crazy.  But when Elton showed up he was dressed in regular street clothes.  [laugh]

I mentioned before( and often enough) that I used to be a wedding photographer.  One of my assignments was having their reception in a banquet hall in the Palace of Auburn Hills arena(where the Detroit Pistons used to play their games.)  The Palace was also sometimes used an a concert venue.  And on the night of that wedding Elton was appearing at the Palace.  The banquet room was across the hall where the  arena suites  doors were.  If you stepped out in the hall you could hear the concert just fine.  By that time(mid '90's) Elton was more subdued and mostly performing a lot of his more familiar stuff.  And in that huge barn sounded pretty good.  All night long wedding guests kept occasionally ducking out to the hallway to have a listen.

Whitefang