Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Newbie

jheath

Hey all,  hope you don't mind newb questions.  I have a lot of experience with Gibson acoustics, both Montana models and older stuff, currently have a modern J-100 and a '48 J45.  I don't play much electric, once every couple of weeks but have really always wanted an ES-335.  My only current electric is a modern US Tele.   I've played a couple ES models but I honestly have no idea what to look for, what years are good / bad, etc.  or anything to stay away from.  I play mostly rhythm with my 5 piece band when I do, no effects or anything, straight into a 50w tube combo. 

So in short, what would you recommend for an acoustic player that only plays electric occasionally and doesn't want to spend a fortune but does want a domestically made ES?   There are a few available for resale around me, what appear to be Memphis built recent examples for about 70% of the cost of a brand new one, 10 years old kind of thing but in great shape.  Safe bet?  

2 minutes ago, jheath said:

Hey all,  hope you don't mind newb questions.  I have a lot of experience with Gibson acoustics, both Montana models and older stuff, currently have a modern J-100 and a '48 J45.  I don't play much electric, once every couple of weeks but have really always wanted an ES-335.  My only current electric is a modern US Tele.   I've played a couple ES models but I honestly have no idea what to look for, what years are good / bad, etc.  or anything to stay away from.  I play mostly rhythm with my 5 piece band when I do, no effects or anything, straight into a 50w tube combo. 

So in short, what would you recommend for an acoustic player that only plays electric occasionally and doesn't want to spend a fortune but does want a domestically made ES?   There are a few available for resale around me, what appear to be Memphis built recent examples for about 70% of the cost of a brand new one, 10 years old kind of thing but in great shape.  Safe bet?  

A 335 can do it all. Now they are not cheap. They are also not small guitars and some don't like the size of them. If your buying used make sure you can return it. 

Welcome to the dark side🙂

The best advice that I can suggest is to play as many example's as possible and post as many pictures of potential purchases on this forum as possible as there are lots of people on this forum who know their stuff and will be very happy to help you verify it. 

Good luck

2 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Welcome to the dark side🙂

The best advice that I can suggest is to play as many example's as possible and post as many pictures of potential purchases on this forum as possible as there are lots of people on this forum who know their stuff and will be very happy to help you verify it. 

Good luck

I concur. Ian said it right.

An ES335 is really hard to beat! The 1959 thru early 60’s with original PAF Humbuckers are the best sounding, most desirable & most expensive.. $Five figures & higher…

From that point on Gibson has made numerous Humbuckers for the ES335’s.. Their Sound quality becomes subjective.. For the most part Gibson has attempted to reproduce the Original PAF Sound.. I’ve yet to hear any that sound as good as my vintage 1959 did… 

That said, some of the ES335’s sound really good.. From the late 90’s on Gibson has been building really good 335’s.. IMO.. And are more reasonably priced…

You really need to play as many as possible to hear which Pickups you like the best… IMO, the Pickups used in the past 25 years, or more, Sound varies dramatically…

To my ears the recent MHS Humbuckers sound close to the best original PAF’s.. 57 Classics sound good too.. But, those are my opinions..

Good luck in your quest..

Edited by Larsongs

I have fulfilled a long-cherished dream for a "round" birthday with a 2021 Gibson ES335 in Cherry Burst. In the standard version not so easy to get at the moment in Germany, there were also only some version in the price region over 5,000 €. I was on the interest list for an ES335 of one of my favorite guitar stores, was notified, was there the next day and bought the ES335. So much for "trying it out" - would be better, of course, but not always possible. I could only compare the ES335 with my 2004 Epiphone Dot - but that's not really a comparison, the Gibson is much better. It is lighter, the neck is more comfortable, it is well made and looks very good in the Cherry version. 
My purchase came out happy. The string action was set extremely low from Gibson. The luthier at the store readjusted it for me right away and improved the nut notches a bit. Is just the advantage if you do not buy over the Internet (which is not always possible).
I am a sworn Fender Telecaster player and also came over Gibson acoustic guitars to Gibson electric guitars. For comparison, I have a Les Paul Standard and an SG Standard with humbuckers and a Les Paul SpecialTV Yellow with P90. The ES335 has the calibrated T-humbuckers and is amazingly "airy" in sound. For a musician coming from the Telecaster interesting, because humbuckers used to always sound kind of fat but dull or mid in my ears. Both bridge and neck position are well usable for me. I play through Fender Deluxe (Tonemaster and with tubes) and Princeton Reverb, little distortion, now and then a Wampler Tumnus, Belle or MXR Timmy Mini in between. Funk licks work fantastically on the ES335, Blues or Blues Rock too. Have now used it with bands and both with a 60s/70s cover band, as well as with Tom Petty and similar things felt very comfortable. May be that the ES335 sounds too "fresh" for some ES335 playing with these pickups. It's good for me. The playability of the neck is very good. And yes - the ES335 is big, actually like a J45 - at least. But it is lighter than my 2020 Les Paul Standard.
Good luck and have fun finding your own ES335!

• Like 1