Gibson Brands Forums

Retirement soon

ksdaddy

I was running a wireless network when I retired and on call 24-7, always had a notebook close by so I could log in to our monitoring system. Every day before I was awake, I would start the coffee then take a peek to see what may have crashed during the night. After a a few years of this routine it was very hard to get my mind to let go for retirement, but what a relief. After a few weeks of R&R getting my thoughts together for a different life style my brain started to heal and there was a whole new world out there.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, codename said:

Steel plant . I work for "Steel Making" (Dept.) in the B.O.S.P.     We do have hot , cold , and direct strip rolling mills also . 

Just wondering.  Both my Father in laws worked for Great Lakes Steel, a division of National Steel in Ecorse, MI.  My ex's brother worked there too.  And they always referred to it as "The mill".  Not long ago U.S. Steel took it over.  And I don't think they operate at full capacity any more(if at all).  My younger daughter now works for U.S.Steel as an IT in their Troy, MI offices.   Seems to be in the blood.  [wink]

Whitefang

“Adventure” is a relative term. I was never one for travel of any kind. Mainly because I didn’t have the money, and partly because I’m a homebody. A couple months ago we drove to New Hampshire to see Jimmy Vaughn and Steve Miller. We turned it into a very casual 3 day mini vacation. I felt like I was skipping school. Yesterday we drove down to Augusta to the Maine’s Odd and Unusual Show, which was like 75 vendors of odd and macabre. It was great. There I was, in my “de rigeur” 1950s Dad glasses, madras shirt and Wrangler jeans among a sea of pink hair, black fabric and about three million dollars worth of tattoos. I couldn’t bring myself to spend $1300 on a human skull but I did buy an old grave marker. 

Didn’t hurt me a bit and not ONCE did I look at a clock. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

“Adventure” is a relative term. I was never one for travel of any kind. Mainly because I didn’t have the money, and partly because I’m a homebody. A couple months ago we drove to New Hampshire to see Jimmy Vaughn and Steve Miller. We turned it into a very casual 3 day mini vacation. I felt like I was skipping school. Yesterday we drove down to Augusta to the Maine’s Odd and Unusual Show, which was like 75 vendors of odd and macabre. It was great. There I was, in my “de rigeur” 1950s Dad glasses, madras shirt and Wrangler jeans among a sea of pink hair, black fabric and about three million dollars worth of tattoos. I couldn’t bring myself to spend $1300 on a human skull but I did buy an old grave marker. 

Didn’t hurt me a bit and not ONCE did I look at a clock. 

It does take some time to getting used to.

Now, I make plans regardless of the day of the week.

26 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

It does take some time to getting used to.

Now, I make plans regardless of the day of the week.

A lot of this too can fit in the "getting old" thread.  What I had to get used to(ONE of the things I had to) was not to be surprised when anyone said, "Have a nice weekend".  Since every day seemed like a Saturday (after so many years of working) I never seemed to realize when any weekend started.  As for making plans, well, I have to do that around the doctor's appointments.  [wink]

Whitefang

Just now, Whitefang said:

A lot of this too can fit in the "getting old" thread.  What I had to get used to(ONE of the things I had to) was not to be surprised when anyone said, "Have a nice weekend".  Since every day seemed like a Saturday (after so many years of working) I never seemed to realize when any weekend started.  As for making plans, well, I have to do that around the doctor's appointments.  [wink]

Whitefang

WF.... What I've found is that when I was working, I'd make 2-3 stops on my way home....now..... I do ONE THING a day.....and I have to plan that out!

And yes....have to take doctor's appointments into consideration....but mostly I have to plan around my wife's hair and nails appointments!

• Thanks 1