Gibson Brands Forums

Retirement soon

ksdaddy

I retired in 2016 and got my retirement car.

So when I get up I go out and look at its engine to see if theres anything to do.

s9J76t4.jpg

not finding anything, I make room in my trunk and pack

UZjmYwY.jpg

then we (me and my retirement car) go exploring for a nice place to  visit

fCGzcNk.jpg

and find a shady spot with very few people

80f9kJQ.jpg

I get home and blonde lady is driving her RC car

o52hDyi.jpg

a day in the life of retirement, stay busy

• Like 2

Congrats on your retirement.  You worked for USDA, right?  I used to use the county soil surveys and TR-20 and TR-55 for runoff calculations.  My sister was a soil scientist and she interned with SCS to get her certification.  She mapped wetlands in CT for a long time.  Have a good one.

I’ve made the statement that I’m losing whatever knowledge they crammed into my brain. 20+ years I sized watersheds with a pencil, got the Runoff Curve Number using that and the soil classification, land use, slope of the watershed, all that, plus the slope of the planned waterways to get the Q (peak flow) and size waterways from that info, and using the maximum velocity rate for the soils, determine if it could be grassed, erosion control blanket, or rocked, and if so, the d50 size. Gods honest truth, I’m so close to the gate, I’m not sure I could design one anymore. 

21 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Good for yo you ksdaddy,  I retired last February,  I manage to stay busy, the only thing I miss is the social aspect of working, I had a lot of friends at the agency I worked at. 

That's true.  People at first would ask me, "Do you miss that place?"  To which I would reply, "With every bullet so far!"  [laugh]

But the last plant I worked at was the engine plant in Livonia, MI  which I transferred to when the old Cadillac main plant in Detroit closed.  And many of the people I worked with at the Cadillac plant wound up in Livonia too.  It's them I miss, plus several of the people I met there who worked there for years before I got there. And there are a few who I still communicate with by eMail and phone, and a few I also occasionally still drop in on.  The rest, all retired by now, have moved out of state before I could get address and phone information. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I’ve made the statement that I’m losing whatever knowledge they crammed into my brain. 20+ years I sized watersheds with a pencil, got the Runoff Curve Number using that and the soil classification, land use, slope of the watershed, all that, plus the slope of the planned waterways to get the Q (peak flow) and size waterways from that info, and using the maximum velocity rate for the soils, determine if it could be grassed, erosion control blanket, or rocked, and if so, the d50 size. Gods honest truth, I’m so close to the gate, I’m not sure I could design one anymore. 

Well, dang,  you were doing drainage engineering the whole time and I didn't even know!  I did lots of drainage and erosion control engineering for almost forty years, mostly for developers.  We'd have to engineer the drainage systems and prepare plans and stuff to get the approvals.  Very cool. 

37 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Well, dang,  you were doing drainage engineering the whole time and I didn't even know!  I did lots of drainage and erosion control engineering for almost forty years, mostly for developers.  We'd have to engineer the drainage systems and prepare plans and stuff to get the approvals.  Very cool. 

Being a civil draftsman for several years, I had to decipher your and the surveyors illegible notes to produce topographical drawings.😀

Having had a bunch of jobs over the years drafting was my favorite until cad came out then it was just typing data into a computer. I got pretty good with a rubber band on the topo’s though😁

Congratulation on the retirement KSdaddy!  I took a buy-out package three years ago and never looked back.  Sounds like you have more than enough to keep you busy,  While at work I was known for saying "I have five Mondays a week in this place".  Now its seven Saturdays a week.  Most importantly, don't forget to spend time with your loved ones (you know, all those guitars you own).   Enjoy!

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 1:04 PM, gdecant1 said:

Being a civil draftsman for several years, I had to decipher your and the surveyors illegible notes to produce topographical drawings.😀

Having had a bunch of jobs over the years drafting was my favorite until cad came out then it was just typing data into a computer. I got pretty good with a rubber band on the topo’s though😁

I'm a surveyor too.  I started holding the rod at 9.  I'd been fired for the first time by the age of 10.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, gdecant1 said:

I had to decipher your and the surveyors illegible notes to produce topographical drawings.😀

My survey notes are usually a mess. I hurry back to the office and re-write and/or transfer it to profile paper in a hurry.

We have a CAD dude in the office. Gone are the days when I can hand the farmer a two page document with a pencil sketch, begin shaping at 15+00, outlet at 10+00 blending with natural ground, 1x30 (10' bottom, 10:1 side slopes). Bob's yer uncle.  Now our grassed waterway designs are 12 pages on 11x17.

Progress.

I was managing/monitoring a wireless radio network across the Island, that provided internet to a lot of off-grid people. Using 900, 2.4 and 5.8 radios, these could be controlled through the web using their configuration pages. I had software that could track all of the radios and let me know if something went wrong. My background was in Graphic Design, but led me to build a network for printing leading to a full network with servers to support all types of media for Motorola. When I came to the Island I worked with wireless networks for 10 years 24/7 and when I retired, it took quite a while to switch my brain off from support mode. Searching the Net for my ultimate guitar helped quite a bit.  🙂

............ and I found it.............

AovIPtC.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

• 1 month later...

I had some of the "FUD" (fear, uncertaintly, doubt) factor prior to retiring. After about 3-4 weeks I transitioned well.  My many hobbies, family, and home work/repairs, etc. keep me as busy as I want. If I want to sleep in, no problem, stay up late no problem, pretty much I'm totally in control of my time. That's imporatnt to me as I get older and see time passing away much too fast. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I'm starting a swingers club when I retire. 

Hard to 'swing' when you're tied to a walker.   Swigging now -  that might sell.  I get more haircuts now -  the barbershops now offer up to 2 'free' drinks.  You can even get monthly memberships !    

52 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Hard to 'swing' when you're tied to a walker.   Swigging now -  that might sell.  I get more haircuts now -  the barbershops now offer up to 2 'free' drinks.  You can even get monthly memberships !    

Figures Texas would have drinks in  barber shops.  'Round here most barber shops are filled with millennials with hair no longer than a five o'clock shadow waiting for haircuts!  :rolleyes:  I don't get it.  You'd think they'd wait until it grew long enough to need cutting and get their $20 worth.  Kinda like what comedian Steven Wright said about going to the dentist....

"When I go to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned I want to get my money's worth.  So on the way there I eat a whole box of Oreo cookies."   \:D/

Whitefang

• Haha 1

Enjoy your retirement! During my last few months before retiring, anytime I saw someone walking toward the office I would stop what I was doing and put on a big smile. After the usual “whatcha doin” greeting my reply was always “practicing for retirement”😁

• Like 1

I moved into early retirement in July and the other day I was at home checking something on-line or reading or whatever and suddenly the thought popped into my mind that I better check email and get back to work (just as it did during the last couple of years working from home due to covid). The thought stayed there a couple of seconds whilst I experienced the old feeling of mild nausea that went with it...then I remembered that all that was in the past. Phew!  [laugh] 

its all good KSD!

• Haha 1