Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire Over Tuning

Fenderbender63

Over the past 10 years my DF has been over tuning the high e and occasionally the b string.

the only temporary fix is to take the tuning peg out and clean the contacts by patting them with a cloth.

i gave it a full birthday/service last month, placed it in its case went to work for two weeks, come home tuned up and snap go’s the high e for the 5 hundredth time 🤦🏻‍♂️ “Why me!”

One would assume after spending $4500 on a guitar with Gibson’s name on the headstock, i would at least be able to trust it enough to gig with…

anyone have the same issue or found a fix for this issue?

Sadly I think the issue is that they never quite perfected the auto tuning system... It works ok but not good enough for a gigging musician... And now the technology is quite old which is the problem with that sort of tech on a guitar..  And probably why Gibson stopped with the robot tuners...  I have a friend who has a LP with the later Min e Tune system on it.. He also got fed up with the tuning issues after a while and replaced them with normal tuners and is much happier with the guitar.

The dark fire is a beautiful looking guitar though. I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Edited by Rabs

6 hours ago, Fenderbender63 said:

One would assume after spending $4500 on a guitar with Gibson’s name on the headstock,

After spending that amount it is what you got, and a lot of people pay $4500 just to have Gibson on their headstock. 

I think there is a reason those auto tuners are not standard fair on all guitars. Spending 4.5k on a guitar does not mean its perfect, it damn  well should be almost perfect though.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper