Gibson Brands Forums

j45 purchase

Tascosa

3 hours ago, Tascosa said:

I'M considering a j 45 purchase. Is there a reason to buy a pre 1969 model? Looking also for a shorter scale length than my Martin d 16. Please respond kindly. 

"Please respond kindly" !? !?   We here are the epitome of kindliness, dammit ! 

FWIW  - I have a  J45 I bought new in 2013 and would never consider trading it for any pre-69 model.  I did have a '64 LG1 I bought new and had for 4 decades and loved it, but believe that Bozeman's guitars are as good as, or better than Kalamazoos.  But that's not based on anything close to scientific -  just "feelings".     I'd just rather not have to deal with potential issues that might occur with 50 years of age and prior owners.   But many here think the opposite.   Some prefer even older,  pre-war models.  A few even  like brand new models beat with a bicycle chain to look 'reliced'.    I prefer less risk, and if possible, a Gibson Warranty to the difference in tone.  

• Thanks 1

Bozeman is building some of the best Acoustic Guitars ever built by anyone… Ever…

That said, I really don’t notice much if any difference between the Necks length on my 1975 Martin D-35 & my 2000 Gibson Bozeman Solidtop Masterbilt J-160 E… Both are different but equally fantastic Instruments…. It is great to have both…

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Bozeman is building some of the best Acoustic Guitars ever built by anyone… Ever…

That said, I really don’t notice much if any difference between the Necks length on my 1975 Martin D-35 & my 2000 Gibson Bozeman Solidtop Masterbilt J-160 E… Both are different but equally fantastic Instruments…. It is great to have both…

I never understood people having an issue going from a Fender to a Gibson to a Martin, all with different scales. Gibson's J-45 is 24.75". A Martin 000-18 is 24.9". That is only .15" more. That is what about the width of a small headphone jack? You can really feel that small difference? Going from a Gibson to a Fender is only a .75" difference. The string tension is a bit more and scale is 3/4 of an inch more, but that is still not that much. Plus there is more room in-between the frets to smash you cigar fingers to the fret board.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never understood people having an issue going from a Fender to a Gibson to a Martin, all with different scales. Gibson's J-45 is 24.75". A Martin 000-18 is 24.9". That is only .15" more. That is what about the width of a small headphone jack? You can really feel that small difference? Going from a Gibson to a Fender is only a .75" difference. The string tension is a bit more and scale is 3/4 of an inch more, but that is still not that much. Plus there is more room in-between the frets to smash you cigar fingers to the fret board.

I notice Radius & different types of Frets way more that Fretboard length.. Although, I do notice my Firebird V’s neck length! LOL!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Larsongs said:

I notice Radius & different types of Frets way more that Fretboard length.. Although, I do notice my Firebird V’s neck length! LOL!

Yes the radius is different. I only played one Firebird electric and I think the neck was in a completely different room than me and the body of the guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes the radius is different. I only played one Firebird electric and I think the neck was in a completely different room than me and the body of the guitar.

Funny!  Mine is too! But, doesn’t take long to adjust & then you appreciate being able to play high up the neck so easily..