Gibson Brands Forums

changing tuners out on a 10 yr old Hummingbird standard.............

4beagles

Just looking for feedback- has anyone changed out the standard Hummingbird tuners out for the "original" open back tuners they are now using on those newer original  models?

1. easy fit?

2. did it change the weight of the guitar?

3. do you notice any change in sound? sustain? etc ......

Thanks      4beagles

I also have no experience in the area and can't answer the question.  Having said that ...  I would change tuners only if functionality were an issue. I can see wanting to change them if you bought a guitar that someone stuck ugly ones on.   But I'd not change out the originals on a guitar to try to replicate a different phase the Gibson Kaleidoscope went through decades earlier.  Like my wife says - "Don't throw out that tie,  it'll come back in style. Someday."  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

But I'd not change out the originals on a guitar to try to replicate a different phase the Gibson Kaleidoscope went through decades earlier. 

I'm in this camp.

However, opinions are like...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I remember having a Standard at one point, with Grover Rotomatics. I swapped them for Kluson Waffle back tuner I think? But those are different than the new tuners.

the Klusons were lighter than the Grovers. I did not detect any sonic change; it was an aesthetic change.

Waffle backs would not only have been an aesthetic choice - it would have been a very personal one too. WBs never saw HBs, SJs or CWs in real life 😉

8 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Waffle backs would not only have been an aesthetic choice - it would have been a very personal one too. WBs never saw HBs, SJs or CWs in real life 😉

I always liked the Kluson Sealfast tuners.  Gibson used these on their high dollar guitars such as the Super 400 and on occasion the J200.  Last time I looked an original set that came off a Gibson could run $800 bucks.  Although some Epiphones I have seen sport decent knockoffs, when I went out looking I could not find any stand alone sets available for sale.

Edited by zombywoof

3 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

These were what I swapped for.

i think my understanding of wafflebacks must be off. Also these are not Kluson but Grover  

Here's a nice set of W-backs. 

1965 ~ P1alKhV.jpg

In some cases they come as ordinary tulips too - never really seen on the hog squares though. 

5 hours ago, Murph said:

Getting a bit personal there...

🤣

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Was it good for you ?     I mean the Waffle part ... 

Hard to imagine anything else. . 😆

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Now I'm hungry...

😅