Gibson Brands Forums

SG String Buzz

slash755

6 minutes ago, slash755 said:

I have an SG Standard 61.  I cannot seem to get rid of string buzz on fretted notes.
How to I adjust to stop this from happening?

Here is an example of the sound on the B string:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trwu-0w5Uds

Have you ever taken your guitar in for a set up? Is your neck back bowed a bit and/or does it have relief in it, does your truss rod just need a tweek, do you have a high fret or two, is the action too low? All this stuff is adjustable or can be addressed on your guitar. If you are unsure about doing it take it to a good luthier.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, slash755 said:

Yes, I have had it setup and it did not fix the issue. The neck is pretty straight with a small amount little relief and the action is low.  Not sure how to tell if there is a high fret.
Maybe adding more relief?

IMG_6787.jpg

You can buy a fret rocker. They are a metal 4 sided device used to find the high fret, but your neck needs to be dead level to use it. 

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/straightedges/fret-rocker/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqIX_wJu9-wIVaU1yCh2gcAqVEAAYASAAEgJb-PD_BwE

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

that action looks pretty low from the top photo.

which frets buz?

all?

first 3 or 4?

From the photo, I would say you may have a bit of a back bow, (especially if the first 4 or so frets are buzzing) looks like the strings are laying on the frets.

I gotta sight down from the net to the bridge to see that for sure.

At least it looks like you could use a bit of relief anyway

l losen the truss rod (turn it to the left if you are looking down the neck from the head stock) by one 1/2 turn only, then see how it feels.

Edited by kidblast

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

that action looks pretty low from the top photo.

which frets buz?

all?

first 3 or 4?

From the photo, I would say you may have a bit of a back bow, (especially if the first 4 or so frets are buzzing) looks like the strings are laying on the frets.

I gotta sight down from the net to the bridge to see that for sure.

At least it looks like you could use a bit of relief anyway

l losen the truss rod (turn it to the left if you are looking down the neck from the head stock) by one 1/2 turn only, then see how it feels.

It is definitely more noticeable on the first 3-4 frets. I am going to try adding a bit of relief and see if that helps. Thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Remember relief is really between 5th and 9th frets. 

If you're buzzer 1 to 4 I'd say your nut slots at cut too low

nah.. buzzing from 1 to 4 is almost all the time, back bow.   once that is set, if it's still doing it, yeap  nut slots would be next.  and if too low?  just replace the nut

Edited by kidblast

On 11/22/2022 at 6:05 PM, Eracer_Team said:

@kidblast but he's able to get an 8thou Business card at 7th fret with capo on 1 and holding E's at 17th

If he was back bowed enough to fret out 1 to 4 he would have any relief at the 7th

I don't recall reading that,  that does change things a little

There's plenty of relief, judging by the pic.  Probably too much relief with the action too low.  That can create buzzing up on the neck.

There should be almost no relief.  Just the thickness of a piece of paper.  Just the slightest bit of relief.  Check it on the high e string and it should be just about flat.  Just barely perceptable.  Check it on the low E side and it will be a hair more.

With the relief almost flat, then adjust the action, and then double check the relief again - it can change with adjustments to the action.

The fretboard should not curve up toward the strings on the high frets.  Especially an SG.  That's when you can get too much relief.