Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone had any success getting Gibson to sell them a replacement push-push pot with boost for a Les Paul Studio Deluxe ? Anyone have one of the boosts they'd sell ?

foothillswnc

I have a 2014 Gibson Les Studio Deluxe.  I called Gibson and I have emailed them asking to purchase a replacement push-push pot with the clean boost. Mine has been used sparingly, I am the original owner, BUT the push-push pot has failed.

A luthier's wiring tech looked at it and said "No, this is designed to be unrepairable." I asked why and he said that there is a hot glued resistor and that tbhe actual boost unit is attached to the push-push in such a way that if he were to attempt to desolder it, it would destroy the boost unit.

I bought one on Ebay and it is for a LP Trad Pro, but it is just a toggle switch, the LP Studio has the ability to control tone and boost as well.

Gibson has blown me off just calling the Customer Service line. I have emailed providing my Serial, I have a copy of my COA, a receipt from Guitar Center in Chattanooga TN. I also have had several people write up the problem as I've taken it to an electronics tech and and several luthiers who have people who specialize in active electronics.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do or if I'm just screwed ?

I don't want to hear about "Buy a stompbox" or "Buy an EQ Box" - I play with as few pedals as possible.  It is my personal preference and I like it that way.

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, foothillswnc said:

I have a 2014 Gibson Les Studio Deluxe.  I called Gibson and I have emailed them asking to purchase a replacement push-push pot with the clean boost. Mine has been used sparingly, I am the original owner, BUT the push-push pot has failed.

A luthier's wiring tech looked at it and said "No, this is designed to be unrepairable." I asked why and he said that there is a hot glued resistor and that tbhe actual boost unit is attached to the push-push in such a way that if he were to attempt to desolder it, it would destroy the boost unit.

I bought one on Ebay and it is for a LP Trad Pro, but it is just a toggle switch, the LP Studio has the ability to control tone and boost as well.

Gibson has blown me off just calling the Customer Service line. I have emailed providing my Serial, I have a copy of my COA, a receipt from Guitar Center in Chattanooga TN. I also have had several people write up the problem as I've taken it to an electronics tech and and several luthiers who have people who specialize in active electronics.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do or if I'm just screwed ?

I don't want to hear about "Buy a stompbox" or "Buy an EQ Box" - I play with as few pedals as possible.  It is my personal preference and I like it that way.

Thanks.

Gibson has 7k Murph aged guitars to peddle, you think they can be bothered selling a $30 pot and boost circuit. Gibson’s customer service or lack of it is legendary. 

Can you post a pic of what the pot /bost circuit looks like?  You can buy push-push pots, but you have to know what you're looking for. 

Like these - https://www.amplifiedparts.com/search/node/potentiometer+push+push/

Depending on what the "boost circuit" consists of, it might be pretty easy to fix or rebuild.  I might be able to help.