Gibson Brands Forums

polishes

Hi Marco

The EB polish has got good reviews on Amazon, seems to be a good product though I haven't used it.  It contains some silicon.

If the Pelham Blue finish is nitrocellulose (which I think it might be) the advice - see link below - is not to use any polish on it at all if possible, only a slightly damp cloth.  The quality and softness of the cloth matters too as even that can create a mark or leave light scratching on a nitro finish.   So I'm thinking no, don't use it.  

Forum members please correct me if I'm wrong - some good advice on this will be appreciated.

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/learn/how-to-clean-a-guitar

14 hours ago, jdgm said:

Hi Marco

The EB polish has got good reviews on Amazon, seems to be a good product though I haven't used it.  It contains some silicon.

If the Pelham Blue finish is nitrocellulose (which I think it might be) the advice - see link below - is not to use any polish on it at all if possible, only a slightly damp cloth.  The quality and softness of the cloth matters too as even that can create a mark or leave light scratching on a nitro finish.   So I'm thinking no, don't use it.  

Forum members please correct me if I'm wrong - some good advice on this will be appreciated.

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/learn/how-to-clean-a-guitar

Fair enough  mate ,  the guitar has been kept in a case  which developed  an umpleasant smell  , now  while i keep open all day long  the case  which has improved a lot  a should also try to  eliminate  that unpleasant  smell over the guitar  that is why  i was looking for a scented polish  which in the long run  would erase  such a stench  ,  the dealer  assured me that  the ernie ball polish doesnt effect the nitro laquer of the guitar ,   however, the problem  seems more acute on the fretboard  which has still got that odour of rusted strings on it no matter  if a use the lemon oil or  change strings ,  as i said  when i play the guitar now  the rust odour  doesn't penetrate on my hand which is quite an achievement  but i still sense the rust stench over there . That is  a 2016  guitar  it is not  something  of the 70's  and the case is still in a good state of repair , mint  i would say .