Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-60

Sojourner

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

Don’t recall the nut width on the one I had, but I assume it was somewhere between 1.68 and 1.75, because it was easy to fingerpick.  Plenty of distance between strings for me.

Having owned one, how would you compare the tone to  a Martin D 28?

A while back I was measuring the nut widths of my Gibsons, and I found that while all of them said they were 1.725", most were a little wider, some actually more like 1.75". Most in between. 

Oddly, my L-00 12 fret advertised itself as being 1.75" and is more like 1.725". 

However,  I can say that my J-60 (which I recall being wider than 1.725" but not by how much) is a tremendous guitar. You asked about how it compared to the D-28. 

Well, you would really want to compare it to the HD-28, since the HD-28 and the J-60 have scalloped braces and the D-28 does not. 

Cosmetically, the J-60 is a little more plain than the HD-28. 

And while I haven't spent a ton of time playing a HD-28, I have played them, a buddy has one that I guided him to buy. It's a great sounding and great playing guitar. 

But I don't think it sounds better than my J-60. To be honest, I can't imagine that any guitar would really sound a whole lot better, if at all. The J-60 is a tremendous guitar and if you want a full scale rosewood dreadnaught, it's as good as one of those can be, is how I feel about it. I feel no urge to buy anything else in that class. 

The J60 is a magnificent guitar. The most Martin flavoured Gibson of them all, but still recognisably Gibson in feel and response. 

I’ve not played a Walnut or Maple one (would love to find one of the latter!) but have played a couple of Rosewood examples which have been absolutely outstanding. I’d compare it to an HD28 in terms of volume, tone and sustain/overtones. 

That's correct, Roger, which makes it seem like it's going to be some super loud guitar or something. But yeah, I think it stands for "herringbone" crusher more than anything else. At any rate, it's a very versatile guitar. 

If you look at that video that was shared here about "The Process" and the making of Gibson's acoustic bodies, you'll see them at some point using a machine that is labelled "Dove/HB/J30/J60", so the J-60, Dove, Hummingbird and J30 all shared the same body. 

I am told that the J-60 uses Gibson's "advanced" bracing, like the Advanced Jumbo. I don't really know what the bracing is on the Hummingbird and Dove, though, although I do have a Dove. 

The J-60 is an incredible guitar. Sure, it's a direct equivalent of a Martin, but it retains some Gibson character to the sound. Just an all around winner. Like I say, I can't imaging what rosewood dreadnaught would really be "better", someone might prefer one to the other of course for whatever reason, but Gibson did the rosewood/Sitka dreadnaught thing as well as any guitar maker ever has in my opinion. 

Bone Crusher was, of course, the model name Bozeman gave the J60.. It appears they resurrected the nickname "The Bone Crusher" which Gary Burnette had bestowed on his 1930s AJ.  I am guessing that Bozeman was thinking along the same line as Burnette which had to do with a Gibson which could go toe to toe with a Martin D28.

Edited by zombywoof

6 hours ago, Larry Mal said:

If you look at that video that was shared here about "The Process" and the making of Gibson's acoustic bodies, you'll see them at some point using a machine that is labelled "Dove/HB/J30/J60", so the J-60, Dove, Hummingbird and J30 all shared the same body. 

Very interesting.   Tnx.