Gibson Brands Forums

I am selling my 1966 J45- Have questions.

babydaddymusic

This thing is in very good condition with zero structural issues. I kept the original bridge saddle and screws but had a bone saddle put in. I am finding that some people like the narrower 1 5/16th nut and many feel it's a deal breaker. What are your feelings about that?  What tips do you have for selling a vintage guitar?

I feel have the option to have either the custom made bone saddle or the original ADJ is a value added thing, along with the fact that it is in really good condition. I bought it from George Gruhn in 2013 and have babied ever since. I'm looking at possibly getting a Hummingbird, but that's a different story, haha

I think vintage guitars sell themselves. If someone doesn’t like the nut width, there will be someone who does. They are all the rage. I’m sure some doctor or lawyer would be willing to buy it to brag to his cronies, he has a ‘66 Gibson. Good year. I was born in that one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

While  I cannot deal with the combination of the skimpy nut, thin neck carve and less than generous string spacing at the bridge in one package, I am sure there are those out there who would find such specs a little slice of guitar heaven.  While I don't know about a well-heeled lawyer or doctor looking for bragging rights, I figure there are plenty of others who like me when I got my first late-1950s Gibson are afflicted with the notion they want a "vintage" guitar and will snag the oldest they can come up with the cash for.  Not so sure about the new saddle being a value added thing.  If anything having the original rosewood saddle is more of a plus as you can easily buy a stock bone one from LMI.   If you have the original hardshell case though that could up the value.

Edited by zombywoof

I recommend you emphasize the typical virtues of vintage instruments. Primarily the sonic dimension no one finds in a new guitar. Then it's a good thing to assure the buyer about the truss rod, the bridge plate and the (not loose) braces. Things out of reach for eye, but of vital importance when buying especially expensive old gold. 

The nut will probably either embrace the buyer or wave him/her away. You can do little there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            HOWEVER ! , , , IF the buyer says it's "just a hair too narrow", suggest a wider spaced nut. This modification can do miracles. 

Good Luck

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

While  I cannot deal with the combination of the skimpy nut, thin neck carve and less than generous string spacing at the bridge in one package, I am sure there are those out there who would find such specs a little slice of guitar heaven.  While I don't know about a well-heeled lawyer or doctor looking for bragging rights, I figure there are plenty of others who like me when I got my first late-1950s Gibson are afflicted with the notion they want a "vintage" guitar and will snag the oldest they can come up with the cash for.  Not so sure about the new saddle being a value added thing.  If anything having the original rosewood saddle is more of a plus as you can easily buy a stock bone one from LMI.   If you have the original hardshell case though that could up the value.

Thanks! The original case finally fell apart, so I bought a really good flight case for it.

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Another way to go is if you want an HB is throw the J45 in on a trade.  I do not think I have ever actually sold one of my Gibsons but rather used them for trade bait at times with some cash going either way.   While there are, of course shops where you would do better in terms of value in a trade than a sale, a mid-60s Gibson is not vintage or rare enough to get an owner running for the drool bucket.  This though is where the various forums can come into play by posting a guitar FS or FT.  Last time I did this was with a 1957 Gibson CF100E I posted it on the UMGF.  It quickly got the attention of one of the moderators who offered up a 1920 Martin SoCal Music 0-18 Koa.   It was pretty much a dead heat when it came to value.  Ironically, I ended up going with a deal I had been offered by a shop owner I knew which while not having seen my posting in UMGF had gotten in a guitar he knew I would be interested in.  In terms of value though I did take a hit.  Then again, I was OK with it because this was the deal which landed my 1932 12 fret L1.  Not an easy guitar to find and an instrument I would have taken over the Martin in a heartbeat.  

Edited by zombywoof

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Another way to go is if you want an HB is throw the J45 in on a trade.  I do not think I have ever actually sold one of my Gibsons but rather used them for trade bait at times with some cash going either way.   While there are, of course shops where you would do better in terms of value in a trade than a sale, a mid-60s Gibson is not vintage or rare enough to get an owner running for the drool bucket.  This though is where the various forums can come into play by posting a guitar FS or FT.  Last time I did this was with a 1957 Gibson CF100E I posted it on the UMGF.  It quickly got the attention of one of the moderators who offered up a 1920 Martin SoCal Music 0-18 Koa.   It was pretty much a dead heat when it came to value.  Ironically, I ended up going with a deal I had been offered by a shop owner I knew which while not having seen my posting in UMGF had gotten in a guitar he knew I would be interested in.  In terms of value though I did take a hit.  Then again, I was OK with it because this was the deal which landed my 1932 12 fret L1.  Not an easy guitar to find and an instrument I would have taken over the Martin in a heartbeat.  

I am looking at getting Southern Jumbo Original as well. I have one guy that I’m talking to about a trade for a Hummingbird on Craigslist - I’m totally open to a trade

14 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

..   HOWEVER ! , , , IF the buyer says it's "just a hair too narrow", suggest a wider spaced nut. This modification can do miracles. 

I've bought two vintage guitars that had this done. I like the spacing but had a tendency to pull the high E off the fret board. I put them both back to where they needed to be.

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

I've bought two vintage guitars that had this done. I like the spacing but had a tendency to pull the high E off the fret board. I put them both back to where they needed to be.

You are right, that is the trap. But many necks have plenty of space to work with - and sometimes the fingers need a little getting-used-to before it all settles.