Gibson Brands Forums

The insanely sensitive A/B

E-minor7

Felt like re-trying the bone nut carved for my ceramic saddle/plastic bridge 1963 J-45 before making the nylon-version back in the summer of 2018. (Made one in plastic too, all with wider spacing).

Then decided to record a test – just for 'scientific' fun.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Admit it's almost impossible to detect the difference, but as it exists in the acoustical realm sitting just above the guitar, I know where/how to listen.                                                                                                                                                                                 The nylon nut is a hair sweeter-stickier-smoother – the bone clears things a tiny bit up.

Well, , , is it worth a thread – YES and NO. A bit silly, but someone had to do it.

Maybe it should have been posted as a weekend game, but here we go -

First the nylon – then bone

Strings are La Bella Brass 80/20 gauge 12-52 from July 2021 (actually a surprisingly good set of steel)

The only difference you will hear, of course, is with the open strings as once you finger a note everything behind it is taken out of play.  But I agree with others in that I heard what I can best describe as an ever so slight clearness in the attack on those strings with the bone nut.  My thing with nylon nuts though is I just do not like the idea of them.

Edited by zombywoof

Glad you folks are able to sense the difference - it is after all an acoustic guitar forum.

I assure you that it's more obvious in real life - still very minimal though. Have to say I go with the nylon.

Idea is that this plastic saddled 45 represents an alternative to the conventional guits in this temple.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Goin' all the way instead of leaning back toward normal territory is therefore the right decision.

Zomb - you of course have a point. But even with a capo a guitar still vibrates on the far side all the way through the headstock. The weight may play in.                                                                                                                     Okay, I could be a fool for placebo, but time and extremely tough tests with other folks around has taught me that my ears aren't that bad. Well. . . 

Sal - The chords played is the opening track on the C & N Wind on The Water album.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    A Croz tune ~

• Like 1

21 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Idea is that this plastic saddled 45 represents an alternative to the conventional guits in this temple.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Goin' all the way instead of leaning back toward normal territory is therefore the right decision.

Sal - The chords played is the opening track on the C & N Wind on The Water album.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Goin' all the way instead of leaning back toward normal is the right decision, if looking to have something different, and not necessarily for the sake of being contrarian. 

Sheryl Crow later used the chords also, esp. at the turnaround, in Strong Enough. 

The differences in the nut material did come through. Like Sal and TwangGang, the bone was nice & clear, if that was what one was going for.

Hope all is well in The Temple.

Edited by 62burst

Beautiful. I think I preferred the nylon but only by a hair. I confess I welled up as soon as I heard those first chords, such a beautiful and distinctive progression. Wind on the Water is my favourite album of all time and I’m devastated that we lost Croz. Your beautiful way around those chords was like an arrow to the heart, in the best possible way. Thankyou!

12 hours ago, Jinder said:

Beautiful. I think I preferred the nylon but only by a hair. I confess I welled up as soon as I heard those first chords, such a beautiful and distinctive progression. Wind on the Water is my favourite album of all time and I’m devastated that we lost Croz. Your beautiful way around those chords was like an arrow to the heart, in the best possible way. Thankyou!

Thanx J ^ the nylon will stay on for now and I actually played it lot the last couple of days. The guitar sounds remarkably good when awake and warmed up - but yes, alternative.                                                                                  It's a thrill to have it in the herd - and it must be underlined that the difference is more obvious in the room. 

Guess there weren't (m)any plastic bridges, adjustable ceramic (or wooden) saddles on the Wind On The Water sessions, but that matters less. It's a mighty fine album and I believe I bought it in London when it came out, , , hmmm, , , or maybe the following summer. Remember His Master's Voice ? - think it was up there on the second floor.  

Ouh ! , , , now see it still exists. That was good old news.