Gibson Brands Forums

Power Outage - "Good Call"

tlwwalker

On my way to my music buddy's house for our weekly jam, he calls me to inform me of an electrical power outage at his place.  He says there's daylight in the room and the beer is cold, so come on. I did.

Him with his new Martin D-41 and me with my Gibson L-4A , we had a great time. We drilled down the two part harmonies on Falling In and Out of Love With You/Amie and Find the Cost of Freedom and Doctor My Eyes. . No electricity.  Kitchen room reverb was great. Very sweet. Man, thats fun when you get it right! As much fun making music as ever.

As darkness approached, he wanted to continue the session and offered to hook up a generator. As I helped, I suggested he check on his wife next door and offer to run a cord from the generator to where she was for her  sake. He did so.  I went back into the music room and resumed jamming, now with a functioning  lamp, awaiting his return. Shortly he walked in with a big grin on his face and said "Good call".  The wife had been across the way, watching through the blinds as darkness descended, as he and I started the generator and ran one cord into the music room.  An envious stare, invisible to him.

He dodged a bullet. We resumed the jam.

His life would have been a lot worse had he not heeded my advice.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tlwwalker said:

On my way to my music buddy's house for our weekly jam, he calls me to inform me of an electrical power outage at his place.  He says there's daylight in the room and the beer is cold, so come on. I did.

Him with his new Martin D-41 and me with my Gibson L-4A , we had a great time. We drilled down the two part harmonies on Falling In and Out of Love With You/Amie and Find the Cost of Freedom and Doctor My Eyes. . No electricity.  Kitchen room reverb was great. Very sweet. Man, thats fun when you get it right! As much fun making music as ever.

I remember the boy's bathroom( it was called the "lavatory" back then)  in my elementary school( built in 1918) had a very good reverb effect to it.  And I recall reading somewhere that in their early years, while still performing under the name of "Tom and Jerry", the folk duo Simon and Garfunkel  used to rehearse in such a "lavatory" in one of the buildings at one of the colleges they were attending.  And mostly because they too dug the effect it gave them.   Acoustic jams can often be more fun than full electric.  I think it's the sense of intimacy they yield that does it.

Whitefang

17 hours ago, tlwwalker said:

As darkness approached, he wanted to continue the session and offered to hook up a generator. As I helped, I suggested he check on his wife next door and offer to run a cord from the generator to where she was for her  sake. He did so.  I went back into the music room and resumed jamming, now with a functioning  lamp, awaiting his return. Shortly he walked in with a big grin on his face and said "Good call".  The wife had been across the way, watching through the blinds as darkness descended, as he and I started the generator and ran one cord into the music room.  An envious stare, invisible to him.

He dodged a bullet. We resumed the jam.

His life would have been a lot worse had he not heeded my advice.

Happy wife, happy life.

My wife abhors that saying so I use it elsewhere when I am able.