Gibson Brands Forums

New Project (Opinions needed Nitro over Poly)

duane v

20 hours ago, duane v said:

The average binding channel depth was about .040" which means sanding won't be a huge undertaking.

This is what I was referring to when I said “hopefully a lot less than 1/8”. Not referring to structural integrity but aware that 1/8” would be an obscenely thick fretboard binding 

Removed the stock fretboard dots and replaced them with the 8mm and 6mm dots, then replaced the last fretboard dot with a rosewood dot because the 61 Hofner didn't have that dot.

Next I'm going to sand the fretboard with 1600 grit to clean up the gloss stuff that Hofner put on the fretboard.  Then I'm going to drop fill the the side marker holes and fret slots with rosewood powder and super glue . Then I'm going to completely remove the finish from the back of the neck.

IMG_2879_si9VwrKZFVURPSQtH19XpP.JPG

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2882_33tzZzMrJ4TgF2XDKNkSNR.JPG

IMG_2883_wbmweJkVRieBeTcRjejLzb.JPG

FullSizeRender_rukJdFYMFLABrF991wwSFu.jp

• Like 1

With the binding removed, the neck has been scraped, contoured and sanded. I also clean up the fretboard, filed the sharper than &:%# fret-ends and polished the frets. Cabinet maker forums have me some killer advice in using cabinet scrapers.

FullSizeRender_xntBmk3vu9HiCQwH8GDyn3.jp

FullSizeRender_mfGC9YBgtY8L4CJwQigrJU.jp

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

• Like 1

I decided I would do some other finishing work since the weather isn't at all good for spraying lacquer. But next this weekend is looking hopeful. 

So I spent some time reshaping and cutting the nut and getting it glued on as the nut was originally cut for a right hand bass, I still need to shave some material off the top. Converting a nut that was originally for a right hand bass to work properly left handed was no easy task

I then had to drill two pickup channel holes for the lead wires as the centerblock wouldn't allow to use the original two holes to  feed the leads to the left hand volume plate location. I also drilled the four holes for the surround mounting. I had to drill a hole in the center block so the tailpiece ground wire could be fed. Also cut the grooves on the bridge saddle.

Plays good but I'm going to file down the frets as the are super tall. They would be great for a guitar but it feels weird on a bass.

Kinda glad I did this now then after the bass was completely sprayed.

(edited)_FullSizeRender.png

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So over the last week I was able to get quite a bit done. I really wasn't happy with the butterscotch lacquer as it was hiding the grain and the bass started to look like a banana. So I completely sanded the bass to bare wood and go with a vintage amber. To me it looks much better even though the trade off will be is the patch will be more visible but I'm willing to live with that .

I will be laying two coats of clear today then I will shoot the red on Sunday 

FullSizeRender_5STHw5TJvp7TnWD8nZeC9p.jp

FullSizeRender_aBhbyRZ1hFqxpziiWJTgtW.jp

• Like 2

Finished laying the Revolution Burst... Did some blending and cleanup work, then added two coats of clear then hit the whole bass with a thin coat of vintage amber. 

Today I will start doing the final clear coats ... A total of 10.

I gotta give props to those that can freehand this type of work.... I had to use multiple templates with rattle can nitro paints... not easy..... And scraping the binding was a complete PIA... Someone needs to design a tool.... 

FullSizeRender_m6ax58gCuJse5bS7ouoMHh.jp

FullSizeRender_c8FP9PNTAtqZwRaaperiUz.jp

IMG_3046.JPG
FullSizeRender_roXWupu3RELqve9mMwCitU.jp

FullSizeRender_oWbrPVBTyngTjWbxJK7tD1.jp

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

FullSizeRender_fbtKSpCUt4o9WgD5Pxubn1.jp

FullSizeRender_jmJ5Zo8GbG3zYD9QpM9BPo.jp