Gibson Brands Forums

What Strings Come On A 2023 J-45?

DaveJTR

I called Gibson and asked them what strings come on a J-45.  Gentleman said 80/20 Lights.  I asked coated or uncoated?  And he said uncoated.  I know this seems very straightforward, but his tone seemed like he was unsure.  Almost like he was guessing?  So I called a few other places, and they said Phosphor Bronze.

Older posts said J-45s come with Masterbuilt 80/20 lights, but Gibson doesn't make those anymore. 

So does anyone know 100% for-sure what comes on a 2023 J-45 from the factory?  Please be as specific as possible (model... type... gauge...(un)/coated... etcetera)

Thanks!!!

This is looooongest mysterium - in there in the thiiiiiickest fog. Has been discussed here again and again, , , , and again. .

Earlier Gibson claimed Masterbuilt Bronze 80/20 - but they have other ball-ends than the ones on my then new 2010-12-14/15 Gibsons.

A 🏆 goes out to the person who finally nails this question - it ain't gonna happen. . .  

If I was in charge there would be no doubt so enthusiastic customers could recreate the exact same sound they fell for and bought. Then again, Im not and might miss a point. . . 

Gibson site list the gage set as 

0.053, 0.042, 0.032, 0.024, 0.016, 0.012

Except for the price and packaging, these both seem to be the same gage and 80/20 Phosphor Bronze

Spend 20 bucks and find out if they do it for you.

You'll get a more definite answer than all of us chiming in.

L80307000000000-00-500x500.jpg

51R63u8Y5eL._AC_.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Except for the price and packaging, these both seem to be the same gage and 80/20 Phosphor Bronze

Spend 20 bucks and find out if they do it for you.

You'll get a more definite answer than all of us chiming in.

L80307000000000-00-500x500.jpg

51R63u8Y5eL._AC_.jpg

You know what.  You're right.  Only 2 choices, so it isn't too bad.  Makes sense to me!!!

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

Hmmm, ,  , 

2 hours ago, DaveJTR said:

You know what.  You're right.  Only 2 choices, so it isn't too bad.  Makes sense to me!!!

, , , one is coated the other not. However the new Gibson strings come as uncoated Bronze as well. 

Don't know about them, but the coated Ph. Bronze have both silver and gold ball-ends - S - G - S - G - S - G , , , to make the fest even livelier.

Doesn’t D’ Addario make Strings for Gibson? Electric Strings are D ‘Addario & Acoustic Strings are D ‘Addario’s in a Gibson package..

But, Gibson reserves the right to make changes at will as needed.. So they could be whatever they can get a good deal on in bulk…. Things being as they are…

Edited by Larsongs

GHS made the Masterbuilts strings. When that deal ended, I simply switched to GHS 80/20's and have used them ever since. Phosphor sounds "tinny" to me and I never liked it, however they are used by many great players with great tone.

After the bankruptcy I have no idea who makes Gibson strings now, but you can bet a 2023 J-45 Standard comes with Gibson strings, probably lights, and probably coated. You can tell if they're coated by looking at them. As for 80/20 or Phosphor that might be hard to tell after a few weeks.

When you say you "called Gibson" does that mean the corporate office in Nashville?

If I wanted to be sure, I would call Bozeman and talk to the guy that puts the strings on the guitar.

Best of luck.

14 minutes ago, Murph said:

GHS made the Masterbuilts strings.

Hahe, , , I was SO sure you would add this - and sat ready with my own standard line of course : But GHS have different ball ends. 

15 minutes ago, Murph said:

If I wanted to be sure, I would call Bozeman and talk to the guy that puts the strings on the guitar.

Yea, , , , but you know he/she probably just takes them from 6 bronze-fountains of loose strings hanging on the wall. 

How do one see if the steel is coated

34 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Hahe, , , I was SO sure you would add this - and sat ready with my own standard line of course : But GHS have different ball ends. 

Actually, I recall Gibson spec'd a different spec for the G string back in those days also, but in was a very small difference and I just use the standard 12's that GHS uses.

I forget the details, but there was something.

8 minutes ago, Murph said:

Actually, I recall Gibson spec'd a different spec for the G string back in those days also, but in was a very small difference and I just use the standard 12's that GHS uses.

I forget the details, but there was something.

So Gibson ordered their strings with a slight variations ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I'm not here to sjoot the theory down - just very interested. Do you recall your source, , , how did you find out. . 

50 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

So Gibson ordered their strings with a slight variations ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I'm not here to sjoot the theory down - just very interested. Do you recall your source, , , how did you find out. . 

Gawd E-minor7, I can't remember all of the details. I remember during the bankruptcy it was all over the internet that Gibson owed GHS a pretty sizable chunk of change, and the Masterbuilts had been discontinued. People were buying up all the Masterbuilts, and it was a "thing" on several Forums for weeks and weeks. Back then the consensus was that GHS built the Gibson strings to Gibson specs and there was a slight difference.

I just started ordering GHS 80/20's and acclimated to whatever difference there might have been and never really gave it much thought. But I do recall that there was a SLIGHT variation, perhaps in the g string. Maybe a thinner core and a thicker wrap with the same size? Or vice versa? It's been too long.

That's just my memory of the ordeal, which was a big deal for some people at the time as I recall.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Murph said:

Gawd E-minor7, I can't remember all of the details. I remember during the bankruptcy it was all over the internet that Gibson owed GHS a pretty sizable chunk of change, and the Masterbuilts had been discontinued. People were buying up all the Masterbuilts, and it was a "thing" on several Forums for weeks and weeks. Back then the consensus was that GHS built the Gibson strings to Gibson specs and there was a slight difference.

I just started ordering GHS 80/20's and acclimated to whatever difference there might have been and never really gave it much thought. But I do recall that there was a SLIGHT variation, perhaps in the g string. Maybe a thinner core and a thicker wrap with the same size? Or vice versa? It's been too long.

That's just my memory of the ordeal, which was a big deal for some people at the time as I recall.

Thx - yes, it's a bit nerdy - but also quite important. As you know lots of fans have been digging into this over the years - completely mystified.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      You hold'n'play a crucial card. 👍

14 minutes ago, Janglemore said:

Here’s a good summary posted on AGF. Some grade A sleuthing re: Gibson Masterbuilt and GHS strings. Mentions different colored ball ends (for Em7).

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6121729&postcount=45

Oooohhh, , , this post is clean tingling water on Murph's, certainly mine and the entire Boards mill. What a revelation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The 2 are not all identical, but close (is of course the salesman's viewpoint).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Not only will this looong missed wanted needed link go straight into my archives - it page itself will be screen-dumped. 

BRAVOJeE8iiM.jpg

It's the first time ever a person, statement, thread-comment confirms my end-ball observation.

58 minutes ago, Janglemore said:

Nice! Glad to help close the loop. I remember this bc I was a fan of the Masterbuilt strings and bought a bunch of packs while they were still available.

See.

I knew I wasn't crazy...

1 hour ago, Gibson29 said:

If it’s still relevant to anyone, I just put a set of Pearse 80/20 Bronze on a SJ and it sounds just like I remember..

A lot of people love the John Pearse strings. I had a playing partner (he's since died) who swore by them.

I think it was because he thought it was HIS picture on the package...

• Haha 1

I have 2 sets of masterbuilts left when I strolled into the local store and found 4 packs of them on display a few months ago.

I quickly hoped on the forum and announced the find as they have been disco'd for a while now

Murph thinks they'll be corroded he could be right  I've not opened em as yet.

The Gibson coated strings are ok.  They are not as good, or do they last like D'Addario XTs do

The one thing I noticed when I tried the Gibson coated strings,  they went from "ok" to "stone cold dead" like overnight.

Got about 4 months out of them so not complaining, but compared to XTs for example, .  I can usually get about 5 months out of them and they still sound and feel pretty good.

w/XTS, I often change em b/c I get the urge on Saturday mornings sometimes not because they are dead.