Gibson Brands Forums

What's the best way to make a demo CD?

heymisterk

Hi All,

The folk band I've been playing in lately would like to make a decent-sounding demo CD. What is the best way to do this? I'm ashamed to say that the "best" I've done is stick a digital recorder in front of us, sing, download it to the computer, and make a CD. Needless to say, it sounds rather sh*tty.

What do most low-budget amateurs do when they want to make a decent-sounding demo?

Thanks!!

Programs like Pro Tools and Cubase work well if you are handy with a computer and are up to learning how to use them.

It will cost you a bit to get started, the programs themselves can be bought or downloaded for free(stealing is wrong), you will also need a firepod/firebox type apparatus to get your music from your microphones to your computer and finally some decent mics, something like an sm57, an sm58 and a decent condenser mic. Then I would rent mics for drums. It will cost you between $1000-$2000 to get set up, depending on how much you are willing to spend on mics, but then you can record anytime you want for as long as you want and can tweak things the way you like them and you get to learn a lot about the recording process as you go!

I bought PreSonus FireStudio Project and I think it's great. It comes with Cubase LE 4 which is enough to get by, but I also bought the full version of Cubase 4. The learning curve is steep but it makes quality sounding recordings. Also, check out The Recording Room on this forum. Here's an example of what I think is a pretty good recording. There are lots more on youtube.

Get yer sh!t together and go buy studio time. At a REAL studio.

Consider recording time (your stuff is ready!) mixing, mastering, ect. Home recordings are cool and stuff, but the REAL guys, have the real stuff. Spend your money on gear and promotion.

Just sayin'.

I'm a musician. If I wanted to be an engineer, that would be my passion. It's not.

PICK YOUR PASSION.

I wish you, the best of luck.

Murph.

Consider recording time (your stuff is ready!) mixing' date=' mastering, ect. Home recordings are cool and stuff, but the REAL guys, have the real stuff. Spend your money on gear and promotion.

Just sayin'.

I'm a musician. If I wanted to be an engineer, that would be my passion. It's not.

PICK YOUR PASSION.

I wish you, the best of luck.

Murph.[/quote']

I already told him but these other guys keep telling him to get software.

No arguments from me. I'm just giving the other option. I've done my share of studio time and sometimes the "pros" aren't really that good either, so one should do their homework before picking a studio. Your advice on being ready before you go in is right on though...

Yeah studio time is the best way to go, but I think you need to decide what will the demo be used for?

You can make decent demo's on your own with a computer or even a relatively cheap digital recorder.

One advantage of a digital recorder is that you can set it up when you practice or gig and make recordings of yourself. For the live stuff you can use it as a tool to help you improve or if its good enough cut a live demo CD.

I have a Boss recorder and it makes some pretty good sounding stuff.

Studio gets real exspensive real quick unless you have everything together. I tried that for awhile. I finally went out and bought me a Korg D-1600. Thay way I could record and rerecord at my lesure. I'm working on my second CD now. Useing the same equipment I bought from before. So no payment of studio time again. Taken my time doing it right. There's a lot of real nice recorders out there for a couple grand. Good luck to Ya'll.

Archived