Gibson Brands Forums

How does the LG-2 Compare to a J-45 Studio?

johnwilson09

The LG-2 being a smaller J-45 (kinda like the J-45 Studio) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with both guitars? You don't see a lot of LG-2s out there. The person who comes to mind with an LG-2 is Chris Stapleton -- he seems to rock a LG-2 a lot. 

Other than the walnut, does anyone know if these guitars have similar stature? 

I have an LG-2 50s Reissue (spruce over mahogany) and a J45-Studio Rosewood (spruce over rosewood) currently. I also used to own the J-45 Studio Walnut.

The LG-2 is lightweight, airy, crisp, not a lot of bass, it strums nicely with softer attacks. It does fingerstyle blues well. It records amazingly perfect. No bad frequencies to minimize, and bass can always be skewed up in prod. It also is the perfect couch guitar.

The Studio Rosewood is obviously a larger bodied guitar, but retains the 000 depth, so it is comfortable to play. The rosewood gives thick fat trebles, sustain, more volume, and is a satisfyingly rich guitar. More overtone. More texture to the sound. dropped D? Chefs kiss. Open tuning? Chefs kiss.

The walnut version is as you would expect in between. Less sustain, but more volume and power than the LG-2. The walnut is closer to mahogany than rosewood in town, so you have the crispness, and the nite decay, it has a growl. Also great guitar. If you are strumming the Eagles get this model.

Here is a quick comparison done a few weeks ago of the current three that I own. It’s recorded dry with an iPhone and no effects, so the recording kind of stinks? But you can hear how much more midrange heavy the rosewood is. If you like the sound of a traditional j-45 best, get the walnut studio.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Here is a quick comparison done a few weeks ago of the current three that I own. It’s recorded dry with an iPhone and no effects, so the recording kind of stinks? But you can hear how much more midrange heavy the rosewood is. If you like the sound of a traditional j-45 best, get the walnut studio.

Not lo-fi enough that the differences can't be heard. It's still helpful. Glad you put that recording together.

On 3/28/2023 at 9:38 AM, Salfromchatham said:

I have an LG-2 50s Reissue (spruce over mahogany) and a J45-Studio Rosewood (spruce over rosewood) currently. I also used to own the J-45 Studio Walnut.

The LG-2 is lightweight, airy, crisp, not a lot of bass, it strums nicely with softer attacks. It does fingerstyle blues well. It records amazingly perfect. No bad frequencies to minimize, and bass can always be skewed up in prod. It also is the perfect couch guitar.

The Studio Rosewood is obviously a larger bodied guitar, but retains the 000 depth, so it is comfortable to play. The rosewood gives thick fat trebles, sustain, more volume, and is a satisfyingly rich guitar. More overtone. More texture to the sound. dropped D? Chefs kiss. Open tuning? Chefs kiss.

The walnut version is as you would expect in between. Less sustain, but more volume and power than the LG-2. The walnut is closer to mahogany than rosewood in town, so you have the crispness, and the nite decay, it has a growl. Also great guitar. If you are strumming the Eagles get this model.

Sal, this video is great! Lovely display of the three. All good in their different ways. The LG-2 would be my pick all day long. Right up my street sonically and sounds so good under a mic!