Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Restoration

10PoundLester

I enjoy watching Builds & Restorations.. I’m interested to see how it’s done..

I’m curious to know if it’s worth more restored or as it is now? As for me I like Cars that are restored to like new Original condition.. I’d like an Amp like this restored to like new original condition as well…

• Like 1

I found a 1957 Bassman combo years ago at a yard sale. It had no speakers and a dead lizard in it, but I knew what it was and bought it.

I didn't have the expertise or the time to mess with it because I was promoting a cd project and gone a lot, so I sold it to Naked Clarke from the Tele forums and he totally restored it. He sent me pics years ago but I've lost them. It was impressive.

Best of luck in this very worthy project.

Where the finger joints are delaminating in the cabinet -  I've used super glue to fix those kinds fo joints for awhile now.  Use the low viscosity stuff and just let it run into the joints.  It sets up fast and a few applications will fill the joint and make it nice and strong. 

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Where the finger joints are delaminating in the cabinet -  I've used super glue to fix those kinds fo joints for awhile now.  Use the low viscosity stuff and just let it run into the joints.  It sets up fast and a few applications will fill the joint and make it nice and strong. 

The joints are solid but they were just not very carefully cut at the factory.  They used plenty of glue!

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I enjoy watching Builds & Restorations.. I’m interested to see how it’s done..

I’m curious to know if it’s worth more restored or as it is now? As for me I like Cars that are restored to like new Original condition.. I’d like an Amp like this restored to like new original condition as well…

Probably worth more in new condition but I'm not even considering selling it.

3 hours ago, Murph said:

I found a 1957 Bassman combo years ago at a yard sale. It had no speakers and a dead lizard in it, but I knew what it was and bought it.

I didn't have the expertise or the time to mess with it because I was promoting a cd project and gone a lot, so I sold it to Naked Clarke from the Tele forums and he totally restored it. He sent me pics years ago but I've lost them. It was impressive.

Best of luck in this very worthy project.

I love doing tweed. It's much easier than Tolex IMO. I would have thoroughly enjoyed a project like that Bassman combo. This is a 2xEL84 amp with a 12" Cannabis Rex I built a few years ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N8EMJe6uXaWeDvK66

Edited by 10PoundLester
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 10:14 AM, 10PoundLester said:

I would have thoroughly enjoyed a project like that Bassman combo. 

It was a wreck, but turned out well.

I had a Holland 1;12 combo in the house once, and Mike was making me a good deal on it, but I was in "promo" gear and it didn't have enough horsepower for that tour so I didn't buy it.

Hindsight is indeed 20/20.

• Like 1

I got all my parts and materials in the shop so I'm planning on beginning the restoration phase this weekend. For those interested I will be posting new pics in the album linked in the initial post of this thread. The grille cloth isn't exact but it's close enough. The blue stripes are wider than on the original. I don't know why I can't put the image in this post now but whatever. It's in the album.

I think I've posted about my amps I've had restored before....I inherited my dad's 1970 Princeton Reverb amp....I had the chassis gone through, new speaker, new tubes and even a new electrical chord (my dad had spliced in an extension chord!).    I didn't touch the exterior, I wanted it to look just like my dad left it!   It's my 'go-to amp these days.

At the same time, I had my 1971 Dual Showman Reverb amp restored.   I bought it from a guy at work back in the early 70's.... was a wreck.... I covered it with vinyl top material from a car and 1957 Chevy silver seat cover grill cloth.  (was just the amp, no speaker box).    in the 1980's I bought a speaker box with two 15" no name speakers. 

I had the chassis gone through, new tubes, new Tolex, new Fender silver grill cloth on the amp, and put in two  "new-old stock" 15" JBL's and new grill cloth on the speaker box.   It's a 'kick-a$$ amp...but too danged big to move around!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I think I've posted about my amps I've had restored before....I inherited my dad's 1970 Princeton Reverb amp....I had the chassis gone through, new speaker, new tubes and even a new electrical chord (my dad had spliced in an extension chord!).    I didn't touch the exterior, I wanted it to look just like my dad left it!   It's my 'go-to amp these days.

At the same time, I had my 1971 Dual Showman Reverb amp restored.   I bought it from a guy at work back in the early 70's.... was a wreck.... I covered it with vinyl top material from a car and 1957 Chevy silver seat cover grill cloth.  (was just the amp, no speaker box).    in the 1980's I bought a speaker box with two 15" no name speakers. 

I had the chassis gone through, new tubes, new Tolex, new Fender silver grill cloth on the amp, and put in two  "new-old stock" 15" JBL's and new grill cloth on the speaker box.   It's a 'kick-a$$ amp...but too danged big to move around!

Yeah those old JBL's weighed a ton. I used to run them in all my amps back in the 80's. I wish I still had them.

9 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

Yeah those old JBL's weighed a ton. I used to run them in all my amps back in the 80's. I wish I still had them.

I wanted them in my Showman because that's what Fender used back then.    Love to see those silver cones through the grill cloth, plus they sound like no other speaker!

Open photo
Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I wanted them in my Showman because that's what Fender used back then.    Love to see those silver cones through the grill cloth, plus they sound like no other speaker!

Open photo

Yeah! That’s what I’m talkin’ about! Loved those Amps.. Hated lugging them around though…

34 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Open photo

Didn't the original "Dual" Showman have two of those monster cabs?

Edited by 10PoundLester
fix a typo

30 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

Didn't the original "Dual" Showman have two of those monster cabs?

No....The "Dual" part meant two speakers, (two 15" LBJ's in one box).

You could also buy a Showman with two 12" JBL speakers, (I think the speaker box was the same size as the Bandmaster Amp).

You could even buy a Showman with a single 12" JBL speaker, (I had a 12" Showman speaker I coupled with my Bassman Amp).

So, you COULD have two speaker  boxes with two 15" JBL's, but that would be a separate buy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

No....The "Dual" part meant two speakers, (two 15" LBJ's in one box).

You could also buy a Showman with two 12" JBL speakers, (I think the speaker box was the same size as the Bandmaster Amp).

You could even buy a Showman with a single 12" JBL speaker, (I had a 12" Showman speaker I coupled with my Bassman Amp).

So, you COULD have two speaker  boxes with two 15" JBL's, but that would be a separate buy.

I stand corrected. But, in 1987 - 1993 according to the Teague and Sprung "Fender Amplifiers" book, Fender did offer a Dual Showman with two cabs each with two 12" speakers.

46 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

I stand corrected. But, in 1987 - 1993 according to the Teague and Sprung "Fender Amplifiers" book, Fender did offer a Dual Showman with two cabs each with two 12" speakers.

I see...never heard of that...but that was long after I'd quit selling amps..... Seems to me that the "Showman" amp was built on the Bandmaster chassis, (But it had more power, I think).

My Dual Showman Reverb amp is actually built on the Twin Reverb chassis, (300 Watts Output).

22 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

Only a few years ago, I'd pack up several amps, maybe 3-4 guitars, and other paraphernalia and head out to Fred Webb's place and do concerts there.

They were called "SANSJAM" concerts....and dozens of people would set up picnics in Fred's back yard and we'd play!

I don't think I have it in my to pack up the Showman amp, bassman amp, Princton amp, (all pretty heavy) and then drive 2-1/2 hours to Fred's place to jam!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

I'm sorry but I don't see 300 watts of output power there. More like 25 or so. To attain an output of 300 watts you'd need something like 6 of the 6550's.

I just read what Fender put on the amp.    I can check the tubes themselves sometime....but it's a hassle to do that with my eyes.

This is NOT my amp...just found a photo of the back on line.

Open photo

49 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I just read what Fender put on the amp.    I can check the tubes themselves sometime....but it's a hassle to do that with my eyes.

This is NOT my amp...just found a photo of the back on line.

Open photo

One version of the Showman was/is essentially the same power section as a Twin Reverb (less the reverb unless specified). Both are AB763 circuits and develop around 80 watts depending on voltages etc. There are several versions of each amp. In terms of "Blackface" they are almost identical from a power section circuitry standpoint. There are differences in the preamp section.