Gibson Brands Forums

Band names without ‘the’

ksdaddy

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I already mentioned a couple there, Lars.  😉

Whitefang

I think we were typing at the same time… How about Blue Cheer, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Credence Clearwater Revival, Amboy Dukes, Mott the Hoople, ZZ Top, Golden Earring, Cheap Trick & Strawberry Alarm Clock..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

Ringo Starr and His All Star Band

Trip The Witch (if you have never heard this Jon Anderson sings on the first song)

Derringer (when its a band) Rick Derringer (when he's solo)

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/25/2023 at 6:13 AM, sparquelito said:

Finally, 1968 saw Cream hit the charts. The flood gates were wide open, as also charting that year were Classic IV, Steppenwolf, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Ohio Express, Friend & Lover, People!, Status Quo, Blue Cheer, Vanilla Fudge, and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

🙂

Really, Cream hit the scene in '67.    Actually, their debut LP FRESH CREAM  was released in December of '66 in the UK.  A month later (Jan '67) it got released here in the states.  Onward...

GENTLE GIANT

FROST

FRIJID PINK

GUESS WHO

10 C.C.

KANSAS

EARTH, WIND, and FIRE

SWEETWATER

BAND OF GYPSYS

HOT TUNA

ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL

HONEYMOON SUITE

JO JO GUNNE

KRAFTWERK

AMERICA

BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS

SILVERCHAIR

OUR LADY PEACE

PHILTER

MOLLY HATCHET

DIRE STRAITS--(if already mentioned I apologize.  I didn't recall seeing it.)

SOUL BROTHERS SIX

Whitefang

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Really, Cream hit the scene in '67.    Actually, their debut LP FRESH CREAM  was released in December of '66 in the UK.  A month later (Jan '67) it got released here in the states.  Onward...

GENTLE GIANT

FROST

FRIJID PINK

GUESS WHO

10 C.C.

KANSAS

EARTH, WIND, and FIRE

SWEETWATER

BAND OF GYPSYS

HOT TUNA

ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL

HONEYMOON SUITE

JO JO GUNNE

KRAFTWERK

AMERICA

BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS

SILVERCHAIR

OUR LADY PEACE

PHILTER

MOLLY HATCHET

DIRE STRAITS--(if already mentioned I apologize.  I didn't recall seeing it.)

SOUL BROTHERS SIX

Whitefang

I didn't mean to imply that Cream wasn't happening or making music before 1968.

I did my research strictly on the Billboard Top 100 pop charts.

Cream was making vital, important music before 1968.
They just didn't hit the Billboard Top 100 charts until 1968 is all.
Cream had the #6 spot for that year with Sunshine Of Your Love.
They also landed the #81 spot with White Room.

And as for me, I really don't care.
I was bored the other day, and felt intrigued enough to research band names in the 1960's without 'The' in them.

I like Eric and all, but Cream never really lit me on fire back in the day.
Though I have been giving them a listen lately.

😗

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I didn't mean to imply that Cream wasn't happening or making music before 1968.

I did my research strictly on the Billboard Top 100 pop charts.

Cream was making vital, important music before 1968.
They just didn't hit the Billboard Top 100 charts until 1968 is all.
Cream had the #6 spot for that year with Sunshine Of Your Love.
They also landed the #81 spot with White Room.

And as for me, I really don't care.
I was bored the other day, and felt intrigued enough to research band names in the 1960's without 'The' in them.

I like Eric and all, but Cream never really lit me on fire back in the day.
Though I have been giving them a listen lately.

😗

That was at a time when FM was starting to take over and nobody was paying Billboard charts and that kind of thing any more serious consideration.  If you recall( if it was done in your area) AM top 40 stations would print their own record rating leaflets you could pick up for free at record stores.  Each AM station rated songs based on their particular(and maybe peculiar) criteria.  I remember one AM station rating "Help" by The Beatles at #1  while another station had it at #3   And on track, I also remember the big horse laugh the Detroit audience gave Cream when they (Jack Bruce did the talking)  introduced the next song they were going to play as, "Our hit."  [laugh]  People into FM up here quit paying attention to "charts" and "Hits" by the end of '67.  They thought it(and I still do) arbitrary and stupid.  Like an attempt to persuade people what to like and what not to. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

That was at a time when FM was starting to take over and nobody was paying Billboard charts and that kind of thing any more serious consideration.  If you recall( if it was done in your area) AM top 40 stations would print their own record rating leaflets you could pick up for free at record stores.  Each AM station rated songs based on their particular(and maybe peculiar) criteria.  I remember one AM station rating "Help" by The Beatles at #1  while another station had it at #3   And on track, I also remember the big horse laugh the Detroit audience gave Cream when they (Jack Bruce did the talking)  introduced the next song they were going to play as, "Our hit."  [laugh]  People into FM up here quit paying attention to "charts" and "Hits" by the end of '67.  They thought it(and I still do) arbitrary and stupid.  Like an attempt to persuade people what to like and what not to. 

Whitefang

Yeah, my memories of how a.m. radio ranked things, and what constituted a hit are admittedly fuzzy.
I was 9 years old in 1968, and had already lived in five different towns or Army bases by that age.
I just knew what I heard either on the radio, what my older brother brought home on 45's, or what our dad played on the reel-to-reel.

By the time I lived in Germany shortly after that, it was a whole different ballgame.
Germany pop music radio was really odd and festive, and Armed Forces Network (AFN) radio had Casey Kasem to tell you who was selling big that week.

Casey's American Top 40 was a must-listen every week, no matter where we were assigned all across Germany, over many tours and adventures.

By the time I started buying albums, and hanging out with other kids who did as well, it became certain that what we liked mattered more than what Casey Kasem had to say.
Grand Funk Railroad, Steppenwolf, the Jesus Christ Superstar rock opera, Black Sabbath, 3 Dog Night, Harry Nilssen, etc etc.

Good times.

🤔

• Like 1

Coming up with some other names, and apologies if any of them were already mentioned...

WEATHER REPORT

SPYRO GYRA

RETURN TO FOREVER

SWEET

PAVLOV'S DOG

SQUEEZE

SOFT MACHINE

THYME

SRC

ELECTRIC FLAG

RATCHELL

Whtefang