Gibson Brands Forums

Band names without ‘the’

ksdaddy

The Animals, The Beatles, The Clovers, The Del Vikings, The Eagles,  The Four Aces, and so on. Band names came up in conversation today and I pondered when might be the first instance of a group using a name other than THE Belmonts or THE Rolling Stones. I’m speaking about Chicago, Free, Led Zeppelin, Bread, Cream, etc. Who was the trailblazer? The earliest I can think of is Cream but I’m sure there are others. Setting aside the possibility that a garage band in 1954 Puyallup Washington called themselves Dog Dish, what was the first famous or at least recognizable example?

• Haha 1

Interesting question.

I just reviewed the Top 100 Hits for the years 1960 thru 1968.

In 1960, most of the popular songs were attributed to a single artist by name.
(Brenda Lee, for instance. Elvis Presley, Bobby Rydell, etc.)
All of the band names for that year had a 'The' in the band name except for an act called Bill Black's Combo.
And by 'The', I am including artists like Dion and the Belmonts, or Joey Dee and the Starliters.

In 1961, all the hits were produced by artists by name, or by bands with a 'The' in their name.
There was one hit by 'Kokomo', but that turned out to be the singer's nickname or stage name, and not the name of a band.

In 1962, more of the same. No band names without a 'The'.

In 1963,  same-same.
I did find a duo called Los Indios Tabajaras and got all excited until I realized that that translated to "The Tabajara Indians".
So I'll score that as a 'The' band name.

In 1964, still the same state of affairs, though the act listed that year as Manfred Mann was technically a band name, even though the keyboard player went by that name.
Hard to score that one.

There is movement of the needle in 1965. We had bands named We Five, Herman's Hermits, Ramsey Lewis Trio, Sounds Orchestral, and Sir Douglas Quintet break the Top 100.

1966 is interesting.   What I always thought of as The Four Tops had their first hits that year, but they were technically Four Tops, without the 'The'.
Count Five was a garage band with a hit that year as well. Ray Conniff Singers and Bobby Fuller Four had hits.
Again, I couldn't score a band called Los Bravos, since that loosely translated to "The brave ones".

1967 brought us and explosion with Every Mother's Son, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane, Procol Harum, Five Americans, and Blues Magoos,

Finally, 1968 saw Cream hit the charts. The flood gates were wide open, as also charting that year were Classic IV, Steppenwolf, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Ohio Express, Friend & Lover, People!, Status Quo, Blue Cheer, Vanilla Fudge, and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

A fun bit of research.
Good memories.

🙂

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 3

There was Bill Haley & His Comets

Canned Heat,

Bubble Puppy,

Three Dog Night,

Savoy Brown,

Spooky Tooth,

Emerson, Lake and Palmer,

Ultimate Spinach,

Foreigner,

Pearl Jam,

Alice In Chains,

Local Detroit band Toby Redd

I remember getting in a bit of a tiff in another forum with a guy who insisted on calling them THE Cream.  🙄

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

Wishbone Ash

BOC

Spirit

Little Feat

How about if "The" is not the first word in the band name - Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention. Is that a loophole?

Montrose

Santana

Jethro Tull

Be-Bop Deluxe

Pink Floyd

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The given names of artists in the band title have always been there, right through, so I don't think the likes of CSN, WBL etc count. Otherwise you need to go back to Spike Jones & his City Slickers or Flanagan and Allen.

Edited by merciful-evans
oversight

God’s honest truth, I haven’t eaten any hot dogs other than red dogs in so long, I can’t comment on the difference in flavor between types. I know “non red” skinless franks n such are less than palatable because of the texture. It’s like eating a Vienna sausage or rolling up a piece of bologna.  Red dogs have got a good snap when you bite into them. I generally boil them just enough to heat them through when I eat them with beans. As to the grill, I burn them and let them split. It’s like burning your marshmallows, you either like them that way or not. And yes, that red dye stains everything it touches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

God’s honest truth, I haven’t eaten any hot dogs other than red dogs in so long, I can’t comment on the difference in flavor between types. I know “non red” skinless franks n such are less than palatable because of the texture. It’s like eating a Vienna sausage or rolling up a piece of bologna.  Red dogs have got a good snap when you bite into them. I generally boil them just enough to heat them through when I eat them with beans. As to the grill, I burn them and let them split. It’s like burning your marshmallows, you either like them that way or not. And yes, that red dye stains everything it touches. 

Comes out red too on the other end, huh?