Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Supreme

merciful-evans

Not only are the backs carved, but there are no back plates. Its like a strange reimagining of a LP. 

That local one has sold now. Assuming it was all original, someone got a good deal for £2,500. I briefly considered going to try it, but the guy didn't deserve a timewaster on his hands.

I always wanted a white LP, preferably a Standard. But, searching the web, I came across this Supreme. I kinda like it, but too much $$$ for me.

https://reverb.com/item/71229439-2013-gibson-les-paul-supreme-alpine-white-burst-video?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=Criteo-US-SimilarAudience-MF-2021Q4&utm_content=970x250&cto_pld=KQB_yi5jAADs2nJSwToiMQ

And there's this one:

https://reverb.com/item/70144117-gibson-les-paul-supreme-2013-alpine-white?bk=

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 9:31 AM, merciful-evans said:

Not only are the backs carved, but there are no back plates. Its like a strange reimagining of a LP. 

That local one has sold now. Assuming it was all original, someone got a good deal for £2,500. I briefly considered going to try it, but the guy didn't deserve a timewaster on his hands.

I totally forgot about and overlooked the lack of backplates

These were made at a time when 300K linear pots were pretty much standard for Gibson. So if you’re like me, you’re going to want to immediately change the pots to 500K log with 50s wiring 

I know these are supposed to be pretty hollowed out for weight relief. Maybe the electronics go through a cavity in the bridge pickup route or something

28 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

These were made at a time when 300K linear pots were pretty much standard for Gibson. So if you’re like me, you’re going to want to immediately change the pots to 500K log with 50s wiring 

I know these are supposed to be pretty hollowed out for weight relief. Maybe the electronics go through a cavity in the bridge pickup route or something

3 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I know the pots change the way the signal is processed but

(Naive question) what, if anything, do the 500k pots do to the sound / timbre ? 

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I know the pots change the way the signal is processed but

(Naive question) what, if anything, do the 500k pots do to the sound / timbre ? 

I think since you now have 200k more ohms to play with you can get a tone that is darker and also brighter at each end of the pot.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1