Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Southern Jumbo Original 2023 and possible issue

Saberslash

Hello, I got myself nice southern jumbo, brand new, but yesterday I saw this line...could this be a crack in a side of a new guitar ? 😞 😞
When I check inside, I do not see any crack and split(when I look in a hole), only on the lacquer side outside.

crack.jpg

any experiences? tnx

Edited by Saberslash

I’ve had that issue on new guitars recently.  I kicked up the humidity settings in my guitar room and they went away. In my case I was keeping the room at 40/45. Now I keep it at 45/50. After a couple years, they’re not as temperamental 

7 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Just look inside the guitar and it will tell you the story.  But as Dave F. says they will settle in after a while.  As has been said it takes a guitar a bit to figure out it is no longer a tree.  

Inside all looks solid. So it can't be that outer layer cracked and inside is fine? 🙂

If you want to confirm it is not a crack that goes all the way through, you can soak the area down with Naphtha and look for seepage inside the guitar.  Doesn't look particularly worrisome to me though.  And congrats on the new SJ, a fine guitar. 

• Like 1

I had a similar line on a J45. It was the lacquer, seemed to follow a line in the grain. I have had the guitar for several years and you still can just barely see it but it has not been any sort of problem and was certainly not a crack in the wood.

On 8/18/2023 at 3:57 PM, J185cat said:

I had a similar line on a J45. It was the lacquer, seemed to follow a line in the grain. I have had the guitar for several years and you still can just barely see it but it has not been any sort of problem and was certainly not a crack in the wood.

Do you have any images, I am really curious ☺️

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

Here's what I have on my SJ. It was more open but it's better since I upped the humidity

53129231801_6a6a7727b7_b.jpg

Around the same time, I had the same issue with a Jackson Browne

Jackson Browne

Can you feel that under your fingernail or finger? or is it underneath the clearcoat? Mine can't be felt at all, it is all shiny and glossy and flush.

14 hours ago, Saberslash said:

There is also a video of that same finish line I have uploaded
https://streamable.com/xiukq2

Have you decoded the serial #, or maybe the final inspection checklist date so see just exactly how fresh this guitar is? Also- it would be good to know relative humidity. Or, if you were in the southwestern US. Or high altitude.

You should be ok with that- just watch humidity levels for a while, esp. with such a new lacquer finish. You can have a look inside the guitar with a UV light/lamp. . . it'll give you some information. . . maybe too much information. ;  ).

7 hours ago, Saberslash said:

Can you feel that under your fingernail or finger? or is it underneath the clearcoat? Mine can't be felt at all, it is all shiny and glossy and flush.

I can only feel it at one spot where the wood meets the binding.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 62burst said:

Have you decoded the serial #, or maybe the final inspection checklist date so see just exactly how fresh this guitar is? Also- it would be good to know relative humidity. Or, if you were in the southwestern US. Or high altitude.

You should be ok with that- just watch humidity levels for a while, esp. with such a new lacquer finish. You can have a look inside the guitar with a UV light/lamp. . . it'll give you some information. . . maybe too much information. ;  ).

Yes, it is made on 7th June 2023, guitar is now resting and being played in a room where relative humidity is 50% 🙂

Edited by Saberslash
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 7:18 AM, Dave F said:

Here's what I have on my SJ. It was more open but it's better since I upped the humidity

53129231801_6a6a7727b7_b.jpg

Around the same time, I had the same issue with a Jackson Browne

Jackson Browne

Those are starting to show there vintage appeal.     
I would say about 50% of what New Gibson acoustics I have are the same little issues. 

26 minutes ago, slimt said:

Those are starting to show there vintage appeal.     
I would say about 50% of what New Gibson acoustics I have are the same little issues. 

I agree. When I pick up this guitar and play it, it looks, feels and sounds like something out of the early 50's

Edited by Dave F