Gibson Brands Forums

New Guns N Roses track

Rabs

On 8/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is why. Let's say The Rolling Stones announce today they are playing MSG. Tickets go in 2 hours. Mick Jagger announces he's going to play MSG and he sells 2000 tickets.  Same with Guns. Who wants an Axl Rose album, but call it G & R with who gives a toss who's on it an it sells a lot more that Axl Pose and A-sshats.

That's a good point. 

Oh man, Geffen spent ten million on the studio. I remember thinking waiting for Illusion was a long wait... 

They were worth it though, IMHO. Have stood the test of time, I think. The Use your illusion albums I mean. 

Edited by Pinch

On 8/24/2023 at 6:42 AM, Pinch said:

That's a good point. 

Oh man, Geffen spent ten million on the studio. I remember thinking waiting for Illusion was a long wait... 

They were worth it though, IMHO. Have stood the test of time, I think. The Use your illusion albums I mean. 

Like The Stones Exile On Main St., Use Your Illusion should have been one album not 2 single albums. So much filler IMHO. Civil War was a killer tune. Get In The Ring was silly, stupid diatribe about Bob Guccioni Jr. Dead Horse was good to. The sappy big hit power ballad was lame. Hey look its Slash in the middle of nowhere, playing a guitar solo outside a church. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Like The Stones Exile On Main St., Use Your Illusion should have been one album not 2 single albums. So much filler IMHO. Civil War was a killer tune. Get In The Ring was silly, stupid diatribe about Bob Guccioni Jr. Dead Horse was good to. The sappy big hit power ballad was lame. Hey look its Slash in the middle of nowhere, playing a guitar solo outside a church. 

I dunno man, I had a looksie and counted 18 songs I def think should be on the album(s), so I was happy. I heard  a few really good songs from the demo sessions way back in the day that didn't make it onto UYI that I think maybe should have made it too, it'll be interesting to see if I recognize something on their likely upcoming album.

I'm not super hopeful about a possible new album though. As much as I like Slash's playing, I can't say his solo/Conspirators stuff does anything for me.

33 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I dunno man, I had a looksie and counted 18 songs I def think should be on the album(s), so I was happy. I heard  a few really good songs from the demo sessions way back in the day that didn't make it onto UYI that I think maybe should have made it too, it'll be interesting to see if I recognize something on their likely upcoming album.

I'm not super hopeful about a possible new album though. As much as I like Slash's playing, I can't say his solo/Conspirators stuff does anything for me.

I just looked at both and Coma was good too. That is all I can remember liking. The two cover tunes are just that cover tunes. I actually never heard the first one all the way through until around 2003. I heard them so much on the radio. I was shooting pool at my friends house and he put it in. I never want to hear Jungle or Paradise City ever in my life. Sweet Child the intro is still cool, then Axl opens his yap. Does he still do the snake dance?

I almost wet my pants watching this when it was origianllly on.

I actually think 'Perhaps' is a great song. I also liked Hard Skool and Absurd is pretty good (reminded me of the Spaghetti Incident sound -  Down on the Farm). I was pleased to hear Axl's voice sounded great, probably because the recordings are from 20 years ago.

For me the Use Your Illusion albums were the highpoint of the band, Coma, Locomotive, Breakdown, Don't Damn Me, Perfect Crime, The Garden, Right Next Door to Hell, 14 Years, Double Talkin' Jive...so many brilliant songs on those albums.  It's annoying that critics/ people only seem to go on about how great 'Appetite' was and forget the Illusions. Yeah, Appetite was great, but the Illusion expanded their sound and were more interesting. There's people who like the harder stuff on them and people who like the softer stuff and these people complain they should have just been 1 album, I myself think they shouldn't have cut anything as I liked all of it. Not a bad song on either UYI 1 or 2...well except My World I guess, but even that is interesting.

I must admit Sweet Child O' Mine and November Rain get a bit annoying now, but that's only because I've heard them a million times. I loved Lies and the Spaghetti Incident too. The only album I didn't like was Chinese Democracy, but that was Axl's solo project. The new 'Chinese era' recordings sound good mainly because of the input of Duff and Slash I think. Just need Izzy. 

Edited by cody78
  • Like 1

I very much liked Lies when it came out, and much of the Spaghetti Incident too! I have never really listened to the Illusions.... my brother bought them and I thoroughly enjoyed some songs but I struggle a bit to stay focused for long albums, let alone doubles - I definitely should make the effort to.

speaking of which - Appetite for Destruction....its very easy to become jaded with familiarity, but one fine sunny day soon, when my mind feels free, I will sit outside, put it on Spotify through my excellent Samsung ear buds, and imagine its '87,  I am 17 again, and hearing it for the first time ever, open my mind - and really listen.... 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 'Scales said:

I very much liked Lies when it came out, and much of the Spaghetti Incident too! I have never really listened to the Illusions.... my brother bought them and I thoroughly enjoyed some songs but I struggle a bit to stay focused for long albums, let alone doubles - I definitely should make the effort to.

speaking of which - Appetite for Destruction....its very easy to become jaded with familiarity, but one fine sunny day soon, when my mind feels free, I will sit outside, put it on Spotify through my excellent Samsung ear buds, and imagine its '87,  I am 17 again, and hearing it for the first time ever, open my mind - and really listen.... 

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Axl records some of those lyrics on One In A Million today, and the Wokies cancel him with their culture.

Indeed. It was back in 1992 and I was around 8 years old when I got 'Lies' and I didn't even understand the lyrics to 'One In A Million', but the song was/ is one of my favourites on that record  in terms of the way it sounded with Slash's acoustic, Izzy's electric and the percussion. Slash's solo was one of his best acoustic ones. 

'Scales,  I can vaguely remember hearing 'Appetite' for the first time and the impact it had on me. It was the first album I ever owned and was the reason I wanted to play guitar in the first place (as is probably the case for quite a few people around the world!). 

Edited by cody78
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cody78 said:

'Scales,  I can vaguely remember hearing 'Appetite' for the first time and the impact it had on me. 

I'm sure I've told this true story before, but its late 1987 and I am at high school.  My friend with whom I share a love of the heavier end of rock (and who is now the drummer in our band) throws me a cassette and says - see what you think of this.

I have never heard of them but duly take Appetite... home and do as he requests.      Next morning at school:

him: so what do you think?

me: these guys will be the biggest band in the world.

....nothing for 6 months or so, and then all of a sudden they were!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

me: these guys will be the biggest band in the world.

....nothing for 6 months or so, and then all of a sudden they were!

Great story! I've read that it took a while for Appetite to get noticed after it's release.