Gibson Brands Forums

Music Reviews

SteveFord

For the  "people"  with contracts or the music they make ?  hopefully the music. I try not to dislike people I havnt met. Also there is lots of great music I dont like but me not liking it dosnt mean it sucks or shouldnt be made, cheers from fireville...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jvi said:

For the  "people"  with contracts or the music they make ?  hopefully the music. I try not to dislike people I havnt met. Also there is lots of great music I dont like but me not liking it dosnt mean it sucks or shouldnt be made, cheers from fireville...

I look at the work they do. If they act like turds in public, and through tantrums cause their big stars it  just makes it easier to dislike them. I want musicians to do their job. Not campaign for politicians. Leave your religion, sex, gender and politics at home. Your musicians, so okay play  live and record music. That’s your job.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I look at the work they do. If the act like turds in public, and through tantrums cause their big stars just makes it easier to dislike. I want musicians to do their job. Not campaign for politicians. Leave your religion, sex, gender and politics at home. Your musicians, so okay live and record music. 

we are different, I think the topics you mention should be part of  some music.  ie folk music and for me protest songs , ie Ohio  or, Fortunate Son...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jvi said:

we are different, I think the topics you mention should be part of  some music.  ie folk music and for me protest songs , ie Ohio  or, Fortunate Son...

Sure but try going to a Roger Water or D-ouche Springsteen concert. It’s basically a political rally and some music is played. Protest songs stopped being written in the early 70’s. Bob even gave up on them and I’m sure he hated being labeled the protest song guy.

Ok review #1. Just recently bought 5 clamshell box sets of a forgotten about band called Renaissance. I got Turn Of The Cards 3CDs/1 DVD, Songs Of The Scheherazade And Other Stories 3CDs/1 DVD, Live At Carnegie Hall 2 CDs, Novella 3 CDs, and A Song For All Seasons 3 CDs. Every one has a full live concert included of that albums tour. All are on the Esoteric label and really well done. The ones with DVDs are in 5.1 SS and also have a high resolution mix of the original album. Annie Haslam is an amazing singer and has a 5 octave range. The music is Prog mixed in the elements of symphonic music. You will either love them or hate them. I got introduced to them in ‘79 and it took me a while to get them. Novella in my opinion is the weakest of all those albums, but still no that bad. A few of the concerts have full orchestras backing them up. Turn Of The Cards was $33 on Amazon, and I would start there if you are going to buy one. It’s a fan favorite, and probably mine too. I have it on vinyl too. Each album has extra songs as many reissues today have. If you never heard them and like Prog you will probably dig them. Annie had one solo album she did that I need to get. I just listened to the Carnegie Hall one this week.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

To the OP, I know this isn't what you meant by starting this thread, but I have often wondered why we need reviews for the arts? So someone can tell us what we are supposed to like or not. I can make up my own mind. Case in point, I watched a film last year and enjoyed it, then looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and it scored terribly. Apparently it means I'm not meant to like it?! Another example is that music critic Robert Christgau. He thinks he's some kind of God to music reviews and I don't believe he can play an instrument or knows anything about music theory so why is his opinion valid at all? Just a thought. 

12 minutes ago, cody78 said:

To the OP, I know this isn't what you meant by starting this thread, but I have often wondered why we need reviews for the arts? So someone can tell us what we are supposed to like or not. I can make up my own mind. Case in point, I watched a film last year and enjoyed it, then looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and it scored terribly. Apparently it means I'm not meant to like it?! Another example is that music critic Robert Christgau. He thinks he's some kind of God to music reviews and I don't believe he can play an instrument or knows anything about music theory so why is his opinion valid at all? Just a thought. 

Yep we all got opinions on everything from the taste of a hot dog to the latest Rolling Stones album. It gave someone a job. Back in the day there was word of mouth and reviews in magazines. Today I can sample anything at anytime of the day. There is no way I could review stuff I know I’m gonna dislike. Say I worked for a music magazine and it was my job to review a Rap album. I hate that so called music and would not  be the right person to review it but you might be. Now ask me to honestly review a Zappa album and I am the right person. 

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep we all got opinions on everything from the taste of a hot dog to the latest Rolling Stones album. It gave someone a job. Back in the day there was word of mouth and reviews in magazines. Today I can sample anything at anytime of the day. There is no way I could review stuff I know I’m gonna dislike. Say I worked for a music magazine and it was my job to review a Rap album. I hate that so called music and would not  be the right person to review it but you might be. Now ask me to honestly review a Zappa album and I am the right person. 

Good points. Yes, I guess many years ago they created interest in a band/ artist. Never thought of that. I'm not sure we need them now though with all the access we have through the internet and music streaming things. Sometimes it can be interesting to read others reviews I guess, but often reviewers for music magazines, newspapers etc. annoy me! A lot of reviewers seem to jump on in with the times...like back in the late 90's when almost everyone was saying how bands like Radiohead were amazing and then slating a lot of rock stuff...like influencing a generation that it was not cool to like rock anymore. Sad thing is it seemed to work with most people! It's often similar with the news...a form of brainwashing people to all think the same! 

I'm not really sure how someone would ever be qualified to be a music critic. We all like music and we all like different bands. If you don't like the band how are you going to fairly critique it? Now if its some band you never heard one note from and know nothing about.

Here's my review of any Radiohead album. IT SUCKS.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I try to separate the talent from their politics or personal lives.   However, some of them are so outrageous and stupid that it’s often hard to do.

Yep. Some just don’t get it. If you want to run for office put down your guitar and campaign. Otherwise play music. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Listening to Yes - Close To The Edge in 5.1 Surround Sound. One word review. Killer.

Just wondering if the recording of "Close to the edge" you were listening to was recorded/mastered in 5.1, or if your Surround Sound processor emulated 5.1 surround from a non 5.1 recorded source? I ask because I only have a few music recordings that were actually mastered in 5.1 Dolby surround/5.1 DTS/6.1 DTS, and they are amazingly immersive! I would love to get any Yes album (digital versions, obviously) mastered in 5.1 or better, if they are available.

I started this thread so there would be a spot for "this sucks, that sucks, everything sucks" and keep it out of the what new music did you get thread.

George Harrison's collection is coming back in print.  Oh no, some of his albums suck!

True, like everyone else  he had high points and low points but take it here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I started this thread so there would be a spot for "this sucks, that sucks, everything sucks" and keep it out of the what new music did you get thread.

George Harrison's collection is coming back in print.  Oh no, some of his albums suck!

I have noticed a lot of negativity on the forum. Part of the reason I avoid online reviews that are often negative. Lots of people saying nearly everything sucks, so it's a good idea to keep it contained! 

Edited by cody78

8 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Just wondering if the recording of "Close to the edge" you were listening to was recorded/mastered in 5.1, or if your Surround Sound processor emulated 5.1 surround from a non 5.1 recorded source? I ask because I only have a few music recordings that were actually mastered in 5.1 Dolby surround/5.1 DTS/6.1 DTS, and they are amazingly immersive! I would love to get any Yes album (digital versions, obviously) mastered in 5.1 or better, if they are available.

Steve Wilson is a guy from a group called Porcupine Tree. He also does a lot of remixing for older releases. He has done Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson and many more. So he went back and did mixes for 5.1. 

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/steven-wilson-remixing-classic-albums

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cody78 said:

I have noticed a lot of negativity on the forum. Part of the reason I avoid online reviews that are often negative. Lots of people saying nearly everything sucks, so it's a good idea to keep it contained! 

Does everyone have to like everything by everyone that comes out? I certainly don't and I'll bet you don't either. 

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

So this thread is the smack down thread?  I did say all of Radiohead albums sucked. So I'm in the parameters of your intent.

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here's my review of any Radiohead album. IT SUCKS.

Can't say I'm a massive Radiohead fan, but I can appreciate they made some good contributions to music. OK Computer and Kid A had some interesting songs. Just thought they were glorified too much in the 90's/ early 2000's when rock music and other genres were being overlooked. 

1 minute ago, cody78 said:

Can't say I'm a massive Radiohead fan, but I can appreciate they made some good contributions to music. OK Computer and Kid A had some interesting songs. Just thought they were glorified too much in the 90's/ early 2000's when rock music and other genres were being overlooked. 

The critics just gush over those guy and I listened to them and tried to figure out what they are hearing I'm not. I just don't get them. Just like many don't get Zappa or The Grateful Dead. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Does everyone have to like everything by everyone that comes out? I certainly don't and I'll bet you don't either. 

Sure, there's music that I'm not that interested in, but I do try to stay open to as much as possible or find something good in it. 

2 minutes ago, cody78 said:

Sure, there's music that I'm not that interested in, but I do try to stay open to as much as possible or find something good in it. 

How do you find the good in formula-matic Bro-Country? Dog, truck, beer, girl in shorts, tractor, and write it again.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper