Gibson Brands Forums

Elvis Presley: Guitar Player

cayine

Throughout most of his career, he used the guitar as a prop to a great extent. He did show he could play a bit on the acoustic segments of the 69 special as I recall. What other tracks are there - live or studio - where he demonstrates the most instrumental chops? Any place he handles all the guitar himself?  https://musicprofy.com/easy-elvis-songs-on-guitar/

Edited by cayine

I saw a documentary somewhere about Elvis producing "Heartbreak Hotel". Himself. Way back then.

He had a sound in his head, which was very unusual FOR THAT TIME and listening to it even now will reflect his true genius.

After his tremendous success I think his mind turned to other things and he put less time and effort into the recordings and was more concerned with the image.

I think he knew enough guitar to learn songs and perform, and that was all he needed.

Edited by Murph

So, here’s a coincidence. I was just searching SJ 200s yesterday because a little shop in my area has a 70s model on consignment for 3,700 and is now taking offers.  Doing my research ahead of time for once, I happened to come across this, from Romania even, chuckle.  Not an Elvis fan, I am happy to step aside and offer this rare opportunity up to the board.  Let the scrum begin… lol.  

https://reverb.com/item/74241938-1996-gibson-custom-shop-j-200-elvis-presley-signature?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiI2ODBhYjYxNC04ODNiLTQ2MDQtOWIzYi1hNmYxYTExZmMzNWYiLCJpYXQiOjE2OTY2MzEzNTMsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiZTQ1MWUyM2ItODU1NS00YTUzLTkxNzQtYmFkMTNhODM1ZTI0IiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiYzQ3ZjM1YWEtMDAwYi00OWUwLTkxYWItMjA5YTIwOTZhMDk2IiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6Ijc0MjQxOTM4Iiwic291cmNlIjoiTk9ORSJ9.-gIfwdtgnNyIltH9VhoLT9-r956JOV91rPJPSjnUn-E

3 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

So, here’s a coincidence. I was just searching SJ 200s yesterday because a little shop in my area has a 70s model on consignment for 3,700 and is now taking offers.  Doing my research ahead of time for once, I happened to come across this, from Romania even, chuckle.  Not an Elvis fan, I am happy to step aside and offer this rare opportunity up to the board.  Let the scrum begin… lol.  

https://reverb.com/item/74241938-1996-gibson-custom-shop-j-200-elvis-presley-signature?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiI2ODBhYjYxNC04ODNiLTQ2MDQtOWIzYi1hNmYxYTExZmMzNWYiLCJpYXQiOjE2OTY2MzEzNTMsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiZTQ1MWUyM2ItODU1NS00YTUzLTkxNzQtYmFkMTNhODM1ZTI0IiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiYzQ3ZjM1YWEtMDAwYi00OWUwLTkxYWItMjA5YTIwOTZhMDk2IiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6Ijc0MjQxOTM4Iiwic291cmNlIjoiTk9ORSJ9.-gIfwdtgnNyIltH9VhoLT9-r956JOV91rPJPSjnUn-E

My wife plays a 1960 J200 which as she never fails to remind me is the same year as the instrument both Elvis and Scotty play on the 1968 TV Comeback Special.  Elvis' though sported a natural top while hers is a burst.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave F said:

I'm very happy with this SJ200. I also appreciate the subtle references to Elvis without being too gaudy. TRC and label.

May I ask what year? The one I’m circling is a 74 so I’m a bit leery.  It has been hanging on the wall for a while now (long enough to start entertaining offers) so if it were the decent deal it looks to be, I imagine it should have been snatched up by now, everything else being in order.  

OTOH, the tiny shop is primarily a folky place, banjos/dulcimers, mandos, etc.  they don’t do a huge used guitar biz, and I think it is in the higher end of their offerings.  Plus it was just one local listing on their FB page that brought it to my attention.  

Anyway, I’m curious if yours is a 70s? I read on some review site that the 200s can have a better track record than the other builds of that era because they were higher end models and weren’t churned out like the workhorses, but that could also be “web speak.”

One tick for this one, like yours,  it has a subtle carved wood bridge, not the crazy plastic mustache one of late, chuckle.  “Not that there is anything wrong with that!” (Before I get letters, lol) 

It’s a bit of a hike down there for me, so if it’s another 70s problem child (I keep running into them on other models) I kinda want to save the time.  If yours is a 70s, that will be the kick I need to go visit.  

Edited by PrairieDog

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

May I ask what year? The one I’m circling is a 74 so I’m a bit leery.  It has been hanging on the wall for a while now (long enough to start entertaining offers) so if it were the decent deal it looks to be, I imagine it should have been snatched up by now, everything else being in order.  

OTOH, the tiny shop is primarily a folky place, banjos/dulcimers, mandos, etc.  they don’t do a huge used guitar biz, and I think it is in the higher end of their offerings.  Plus it was just one local listing on their FB page that brought it to my attention.  

Anyway, I’m curious if yours is a 70s? I read on some review site that the 200s can have a better track record than the other builds of that era because they were higher end models and weren’t churned out like the workhorses, but that could also be “web speak.”

One tick for this one, like yours,  it has a subtle carved wood bridge, not the crazy plastic mustache one of late, chuckle.  “Not that there is anything wrong with that!” (Before I get letters, lol) 

It’s a bit of a hike down there for me, so if it’s another 70s problem child (I keep running into them on other models) I kinda want to save the time.  If yours is a 70s, that will be the kick I need to go visit.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Whatever level of Player he was, he single handedly made the Guitar the most desirable Instrument to own & play in history! No Elvis, No Beatles & ten million other Bands!

True!

But he wanted that rifle for his birthday, not the guitar Ma bought him! Could have turned out way different....I can imagine him saying:  'Shucks, Ma, but I don't want no geetar - I want that rifle....or that bike!'

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777