Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic guitar for beginner?

cayine

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

I think they were going for about $500. They looked nice but the quality and sound couldn’t compete with the Loar, Eastman and Kentucky brands. 

I played one that was pretty darned good. Mandolins are expensive.

A guy I jam with weekly has a Kentucky and man, that thing is a sweety. It doesn't have the overtones and resonance that my Gibson has, but it's a really nice mandolin for the money.

Edited by Murph

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I played one that was pretty darned good. Mandolins are expensive.

A guy I jam with weekly has a Kentucky and man, that thing is a sweety. It doesn't have the overtones and resonance that my Gibson has, but it's a really nice mandolin for the money.

The reviews I had read had quite a few people praising them but, in the end, Epiphone discontinued the MM50 over 10 years ago and only makes the A style mandolin. If I remember correctly, the MSRP was getting higher on them creeping up to around 800. I was shopping around for a mandolin back around 2012. There were still a few of the Epi around at that time and Gibson's were almost impossible to find. I think Gibson shut down their bluegrass instruments. I wound up ordering one and waiting over a year for it. I was surprised to see Gibson starting them up again and advertising them this past week. Maybe banjos will be next?

• Thanks 1