Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage LG-1 and LG-2 Owners...

jibberish

Martin Authentic Acoustic SPs 80/20 Bronze 12s are my choice.  Although, lately, I’ve tried the same in 10s and they were better than I thought they’d be.  Martin seems to have done something tecently to it’s very light strings to make them no longer feel or sound flimsy in a very light weight.  

Everyone has their own picks so.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

2 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

Martin Authentic Acoustic SPs 80/20 Bronze 12s are my choice.  Although, lately, I’ve tried the same in 10s and they were better than I thought they’d be.  Martin seems to have done something tecently to it’s very light strings to make them no longer feel or sound flimsy in a very light weight.  

Everyone has their own picks so.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Is your drop to 10s because you frequently bend strings?

2 hours ago, jibberish said:

Is your drop to 10s because you frequently bend strings?

I do bend strings, and fingerpick, but primarily I drop to 10s because in the summertime I generally play 3-4 gigs a week at farmers markets and at restaurants.  So the 10s make the wear and tear and tension on my left hand much easier, less sore.  I prefer 12s, but am surprised how good the 10s actually keep my hands in better shape, less pain.  Especially, as I’m plugged in and they sound pretty much the same as 12s without the wear and tear on my hands, fingertips.   I can go for hours with them.

This became a necessity of course as I got older, never was an issue before I got older.

QM aka:  “ Jazzman” Jeff

The only guitar I remain mindful of what gauge I am stringing with is my '32 L1.  Given its age and the fact it clocks in at less than 3 pounds, I stick with either 11s or low tension 12s.

I have, however, owned both a 1955-59 LG1 (back then you had to go solely by features when assigning a build date) and a '46 LG2.  I owned the LG1 so long ago I do not recall what I strung it with.   Also never gigged with because at the time I was obsessed with playing blues fiddle. 

The '46 LG2 though was more recent.   My favorite strings were the same as with any guitar which are Newtone.  I preferred the .012-.052 gauge.    If I could not get my hands on them though, I would go with D'Addario,  John Pearce, Pyramid or whatever strings I could find quickly.    I found I had a real fondness for Snake Oil Strings which showed up in the late-1980s.  But they have since done a vanishing act.  As I never found much cause to bend strings more than 1/4 though so cannot say if that would have made much of an impact on my choices.    

I no longer own a vintage Gibson, but based on my memories of my '60 LG-2, I think I would used the same John Pearse Pure Nickel .012-.54 on it and be quite content.  Lower tension than phosphor bronze and a sound my ears and brain perceive as less colored by the strings, more transparent.  But I play without picks, and that might make a difference.  Or not.