Gibson Brands Forums

When the Christmas hoopla finally gets out of hand

PrairieDog

Okay, I admit the tinsel has gone to my brain.  In the middle of the mad dash yesterday making sure I had enough for under the tree, this happened. I went into a Music-go-round to check out a super early Hawaiian Radio Tone which was a no go. But I admit I paid the 89 bucks for this just for the dang color.  Since it is in good shape, and makes sound, it will either be the backyard guitar, or we  will pass it on to the 14 year old niece.  In the meantime the Gibsons and Taylors are unruffled by the new kid.

KdTctzM.jpg

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PrairieSchooner said:

Snap any pics of the Radio Tone?

Here’s the listing.  Sadly the ivoroid (I think)  G tuning button is missing now.  Otherwise seriously looks all original.  Neck looks fine.  Even still has the notes sheet on the fretboard, perfectly legible. I couldn’t tell if it was one of the Dobro production ones, but the finish in the headstock valleys was tree bark rough. The plate has a lot of pitting, and it didn’t have a lot of “voice.” and I’m not sure, but I’d almost wager it still has the original strings, chuckle.  I didn’t have a bar with me, but finger playing it didnt’ grab me.  If they hadn’t just picked up a 34 National duolian, I might have been tempted for a gift just for the collection history, but somebody who knows/appreciates relic reso’s better ought get the chance to show love for it at the price. 

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40111-S000156533/used-other-brand-hawaiian-radiotone-resonator-resonator

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

My backyard and "cabin in the woods" guitars are my Gibsons.

Give it to the niece.

Do it.

You've got under 24 hours.

Hurry...

Grin, turns out we get to mosey. The party just got bumped to next weekend, thanks to an uninvited case of plague.  Confessing, I’m looking forward to enjoying a quiet Christmas morning of our own,  sipping coffee, opening presents at our leisure, and playing guitars, instead of rushing through the motions so we can get down to family in time.  Now, the only problem  is what we’re going to do with the 9 pound Honeybaked ham we were bringing…. May set up a roadside stand and offer free slices to passersby, lol. Merry Christmas to you Murph!! Glad I’ve had the chance to “meet” you! 

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

U did good  🌲 Merry X-mas

Merry Christmas,  E. Hope it’s a good one for you.  Thanks for all the help and patience since I showed up.  

22 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Here’s the listing.  Sadly the ivoroid (I think)  G tuning button is missing now.  Otherwise seriously looks all original.  Neck looks fine.  Even still has the notes sheet on the fretboard, perfectly legible. I couldn’t tell if it was one of the Dobro production ones, but the finish in the headstock valleys was tree bark rough. The plate has a lot of pitting, and it didn’t have a lot of “voice.” and I’m not sure, but I’d almost wager it still has the original strings, chuckle.  I didn’t have a bar with me, but finger playing it didnt’ grab me.  If they hadn’t just picked up a 34 National duolian, I might have been tempted for a gift just for the collection history, but somebody who knows/appreciates relic reso’s better ought get the chance to show love for it at the price. 

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40111-S000156533/used-other-brand-hawaiian-radiotone-resonator-resonator

Thanks; cool!  My old Dobro-playin' partner has one; his is red with original case.  I had it on semi-permanent loan for a while.  He'll poop when I send him this to show him the price!

• Like 1

When it comes to self-inflicted Holiday Hoopla, I avoided everything and anything that had to do with music.  My particular gift was to break an at least decade old hex of never winning anything offered at an auction.  But this time, I walked away from a local silent auction with a car speaker from a drive-in theater and an old Triumph Motorcycle jacket.  Pretty much nostalgia fueled.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

When it comes to self-inflicted Holiday Hoopla, I avoided everything and anything that had to do with music.  My particular gift was to break an at least decade old hex of never winning anything offered at an auction.  But this time, I walked away from a local silent auction with a car speaker from a drive-in theater and an old Triumph Motorcycle jacket.  Pretty much nostalgia fueled.

Score!!! Merry Christmas to you.  I have the odd distinction of never having been to a drive-in. Not on purpose, there were plenty around when I was of the age, just never got it in my wheelhouse.  Now I’m kinda bummed I can’t play “remember when?”  

On 12/24/2023 at 3:24 AM, Murph said:

Give it to the niece.

Do it.

Hurry...

Santa brought me a new Gretsch G-6119T-62GE Vintage Select Tennessee Rose with Hilo Trons.. I’m enjoying it a lot!

I’ve got an Epi Inspired by Mc Cartney Texan for backyard & the Beach that I like.. I love playing outdoors.. Especially in places like the Woods, in the Desert, the Beach or a Lake.. I find it very inspiring.. 

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Score!!! Merry Christmas to you.  I have the odd distinction of never having been to a drive-in. Not on purpose, there were plenty around when I was of the age, just never got it in my wheelhouse.  Now I’m kinda bummed I can’t play “remember when?”  

I could probably not tell you the name of any movie I saw.  But when we reached a certain age, the game was a foot when it came to how many people we could sneak in.   I also though have gained a new respect for those old car windows being reminded of how flippin' heavy these cast aluminum speakers were.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I could probably not tell you the name of any movie I saw.  

Zomb - You saw Ivanhoe, The Longest Day, Woodstock and Jaws. 

And spiced it up with some Russ Meyer things. . . 

• Haha 1

Never saw any of those films mentioned in any theater.  I do recall seeing "The Time Machine" at a Drive-In with my parents as well as a bit later on my fair share of double feature B horror movies.  But the attraction eventually became more about nobody walking down the aisle sticking a flashlight in your face telling you to put out whatever you were smoking than what was on the screen.

Posted (edited)
On 12/24/2023 at 5:24 AM, Murph said:

Give it to the niece.

Do it.

Hurry...

Well, the gloriously green guitar is going to the 14 yo niece.  We didn’t do it for Christmas because we would have violated “gift value parity” with her brother, but we showed a pic of it to her and her eyes did light up and she gave us a little half smile and nearly a head nod when we asked if she would like it.  Which equates to a huge acknowledgement we might have finally scored some points with her.  

For years we have sat while she (and her brother) literally has thrown our presents  over her shoulder after unwrapping them without even  looking at us. Between them, in 17 years we have yet to receive an unparental-prompted “thank you” for anything we’ve given: xmas, birthdays, out of the blue surprises.

Anyway, it looks like she might enjoy the guitar, so we will deliver it later this week.  Maybe next year we will get a thank you for a Christmas gift.  After yesterday, we’re still batting zero. And who knows, maybe I can trade for the beautiful  lap harp/zither I had made for her years ago when she said she wanted to learn to music that just got pitched aside, nearly stepped on, and never played.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, zombywoof said:

I do recall seeing "The Time Machine" at a Drive-In with my parents

There's a show from the early 60's with Bob Dylan on a New York City radio station where he plays a few songs and talks about random things with the host. Apparently, he had just seen The Time Machine film with Rod Taylor and says it was really cool. Bob asks the host if he's seeen it, but he's clueless and doesn't know what Bob is talking about. Kind of a funny moment. I ripped a recording of it that I found  online somewhere a few years ago, just looking quickly at my playlists now... I think it was the Oscar Brand Show from WNYC on 10-29-61 but don't have time to check right now. According to IMDB, the Time Machine was released in 1960.

7 hours ago, Boyd said:

I think it was the Oscar Brand Show from WNYC on 10-29-61

Just checked, and that is wrong! It was the Skip Weshner Show on WBAI, NY in February 1963. Just transcribed this, the discussion starts about 2 minutes into the show right after Bob opens with an excerpt from a song called (?) "If only ever she was lyin' by me" (I don't know that one).

________________________________________________________________________________________

Bob: Hey, there's this movie called The Time Machine, and ya gotta see it...
Skip: HG Wells Time Machine?
Bob: Yeah
Skip: That came out about 1930 or something originally, wasn't it?
Bob: Ooo... what's that again?
Skip: I never saw it.
Bob: Oh wow (laughs)
Skip: Yeah... (goes into a long rant about science fiction) 
Bob: (chuckles and says "yeah, uh-huh" a few times)
Skip: (eventually) ...where's it playing in New York?
Bob: It's playing uptown around 42nd Street - yeah, in fact, it's on 42nd Street
Skip: Oh, on 42nd Street?
Bob: ...with a Sammy Davis Junior movie and Frank Sinatra and all them people
Skip: Well, that's science fiction.
Bob: Hmmm... yeah, right.
(both laugh)

________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm wondering what rat pack movie they were running in 1963? Ocean's Eleven is my favorite, from 1960. But it might have been a newer one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Pack

Edited by Boyd

On 1/1/2024 at 3:13 PM, PrairieDog said:

Well, the gloriously green guitar is going to the 14 yo niece.  We didn’t do it for Christmas because we would have violated “gift value parity” with her brother, but we showed a pic of it to her and her eyes did light up and she gave us a little half smile and nearly a head nod when we asked if she would like it.  Which equates to a huge acknowledgement we might have finally scored some points with her.  

For years we have sat while she (and her brother) literally has thrown our presents  over her shoulder after unwrapping them without even  looking at us. Between them, in 17 years we have yet to receive an unparental-prompted “thank you” for anything we’ve given: xmas, birthdays, out of the blue surprises.

Anyway, it looks like she might enjoy the guitar, so we will deliver it later this week.  Maybe next year we will get a thank you for a Christmas gift.  After yesterday, we’re still batting zero. And who knows, maybe I can trade for the beautiful  lap harp/zither I had made for her years ago when she said she wanted to learn to music that just got pitched aside, nearly stepped on, and never played.  

PrairieDog,

Forgive me if I'm treading on your toes, but I truly don't understand anyone's actions or reactions stated in this post.

RBSinTo

• Upvote 1