Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the Songbird Deluxe?

Anyone have experience with one of these?  Went down to pick up some more humidifier packs (Winter here in the Great White North), and a 2001 songbird has landed with cutaway and electronics.  So I know it’s a Ferguson era Custom Lab guitar,  and I know they changed the name to Songwriter after 3 years.  Not much out on the web about this, less about the cutaways. Folks seem to like the rebranded Songwriter.

I thought it sounded really sweet, but we just absolutely swore off buying anything more until we wrangled what we already have.  

And while the price seems decent, I don’t know anything about how to test if the electronics are working…tips?

Peer pressure to buy it?  Advice to run away, they were all infested with Rocky Mountain Deer ticks?  

It’s so purty sounding…. Anyone game to convince me to pick it up? 

Edited by PrairieDog

18 minutes ago, Murph said:

Opinions are like Rocky Mountain deer ticks...

You are right, of course, Should I be leery of 20 year old electronic? 

Just now, Murph said:

Buy it....

There we go, that’s what I’m looking for 😁

12 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

. . . .

And while the price seems decent, I don’t know anything about how to test if the electronics are working…tips?

. . . .

Plug it into an amp 😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dave F said:

Plug it into an amp 😉

☺️ Okay, I got that bit, it’s just I’m a half century from pedals and mixing boards, and where whatever noise you ended up making was the noise you used, lol.  We weren’t too concerned back then with the niceties of tone, balance, and capturing the authentic sound of the instrument, just enough to made sure your white noise wasn’t louder than my distortion 😆 I’m not sure I could tell if all the little dials and sliders were working within their parameters.  

Edited by PrairieDog

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Opinions are like Rocky Mountain deer ticks...

So opinions suck blood? 

They used to be like our bums cause we all have one. Some are bigger than others.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

24 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Is that from the ever evolving series now called Songwriter? Interesting Guitars.. I’d like to try one of the new ones with Rosewood…

Yeah, the Songwriter started out as the Songbird, which began as the Ferguson CL30? Songbirds were only produced for just over three years, til they got sued by another company that already had the name.  Gibson tweaked the inlays, and renamed it the Songwriter.  This one has the rosewood and sounds rich.  

• 2 weeks later...

I went back to revisit the Songbird yesterday.  It’s still pulling me.  I noticed, like the first time I played it, it was tuned down a whole step, again.  So someone else is circling it too.  It still has a couple days on its release hold, so I’m thinking if I want it, I probably need to act, even though our New Years resolution was No More Guitars for a while.  

Ready to just do it,  I was looking it over with a fine tooth comb, and noticed the lacquer right at the body/heel join is rough, right at the seam. There doesn’t seem to be any actual wood separation. However, is this a sign something more serious in the works?  The guys at the store said just keep it humidified and weren’t too worried, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experience here.  

Sorry, didn’t think to take a picture.  But just imagine kind of a white, sandy line right along the seam, where the lacquer appears to have cracked.  Otherwise the finish is pristine. 

Edited by PrairieDog

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

How much difference is it in cost between it & a new Songwriter? That might be a good consideration if the Songbird gets bought… 

That’s part of the draw.  it’s actually very well positioned against used or new SWs.  Probably because there aren’t many comps out there since they were such a short run in this configuration.  And at my age there is the uncomfortable situation I likely don’t have another 20 years to let a new one open as this one has.  After playing a zillion guitars the past few months (on the advice here), and bringing too many home, the one thing I’ve learned is I usually do prefer the sound of other folks’ cast-offs over the shiny new young things, rueful chuckle. 

Edited by PrairieDog

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

That’s part of the draw.  it’s actually very well positioned against used or new SWs.  Probably because there aren’t many comps out there since they were such a short run in this configuration.  And at my age there is the uncomfortable situation I likely don’t have another 20 years to let a new one open as this one has.  After playing a zillion guitars the past few months (on the advice here), and bringing too many home, the one thing I’ve learned is I usually do prefer the sound of other folks’ cast-offs over the shiny new young things, rueful chuckle. 

I hear you on the 20 year part.. I'm in the same boat.. It would be great if that Guitar comes through for you...  

I saw this on Reverb..

https://reverb.com/item/73401073-gibson-songbird-deluxe-2000-antique-natural

Edited by Larsongs

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I hear you on the 20 year part.. I'm in the same boat.. It would be great if that Guitar comes through for you...  

I saw this on Reverb..

https://reverb.com/item/73401073-gibson-songbird-deluxe-2000-antique-natural

Thanks, and hey, it did come through! Some stars aligned that pointed the way.  

First, every time I went in and didn’t see it hanging right way, my heart sank that it got away, so that told me something.   I had seen the one you shared and mine is in about the same shape, far less scratches, but the gold on the Grover tuners is more patina’ed, but this one was a chunk less than the Cali one, which was already pretty fair compared to past listings and Songwriters.  

Then, we got a good  refund credit on a used 2011 Taylor GS mini we picked up on a whim yesterday when we went to visit the Songbird. My better half wanted a bluesy parlor style, and this little thing had both voice and some growl.  Only thing, we thought it was a good deal because it was tagged and priced at the up-charged all mahogany model, but when we got it home and could really look at it, it turned out to be the low end sitka top.  I was thinking it didn’t look quite right for hog, but it was really ribbony spruce, and they use the sapele in these, so I figured that was why it looked weird.  Further researching what we bought, we found the original flyer tucked in a pocket that said it was sitka. Confirmed in that in 2011 they only made spruce tops.  We had paid 10 bucks less than a brand new version of the same make 🙄  (that’s what we get for buying on impulse, and not knowing anything about that model!)

Anyway, headed back down there today to have them make it right.   So when I couldn’t find the SB right away again and felt my heart drop once more, that kinda cinched it.  

Then came the gravy: fooling around with it while the Taylor was getting squared away, out of my fingers flew the final bit of an old King Crimson lick I’d been tearing my hair out trying to remember.  I said, “okay, you just earned your keep.”  Spouse went along with “one more guitar” if it meant  they didn’t have to listen to me endlessly try to conjure it up anymore 😆  😄

Anyway, it’s still on the suspect hold so pics next week sometime! 

• 2 months later...

Bought my songbird in 2002 and love it. I’m a recreational player and had periods when I put it down for perhaps a year or more. Never got very far self taught but I took lessons for a few months just before COVID hit and made some progress. I bought it (I keep wanting to say her- my generation even named their cars!) at a big chain music store.  I have no idea what kind of wood. I had a luthier replace my preamp  (?) with a fishman about 4 years ago and haven’t plugged it in more than once. I’m going to start playing at church and the “big dog” is working with me.  When most are putting their instruments away I’m just getting started!  So …. If I want to buy a REALLY NICE guitar, what do you recommend???

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had my 2001 Songbird Deluxe (no cutaway) since around 2005. It’s a fantastic acoustic guitar. Looks gorgeous. Plays beautifully. Sounds divine. I can be playing a cheaper guitar and think that sounds fine. As soon as I switch to the Songbird, the difference is night and day. The feel of it. The tone. Amazing harmonics. Build quality is solid. Totally worth the money. The factory-installed pick-up is still usable in 2024.  I owned a VOS Hummingbird at the same time (the limited edition ones, with the matching jacket!) and I sold that, keeping the Songbird. I’ve never regretted that for one second. The Hummingbird had dead spots up around the 10-12th fret on the A string. Those notes just died instantly. So disappointing. This Songbird sings sweetly anywhere you tickle her. It’s nice that they’re a little bit rare. If you ever see one for sale and it calls to you, give in to her siren song.