Gibson Brands Forums

My LP touch the frets

Foxboron

so i got my les paul for.. 3 days ago' date=' and i noticed the strings touch the frets.

i know i ahve to adjust the bridge, but i dont know how and how much i have to adjust it.

THX for anny help :-s[/quote']

Take it to your local guitar store and get it setup. It probably needs a neck adjustment as well.

Turn the nuts counterclockwise to raise the bridge until the buzz goes away. You should also check the intonation too. Play the note at the 12th fret and also hit the harmonic. If the note is lower in pitch than the harmonic then turn the saddle counterclockwise to shorten the string. If it's too high turn the saddle clockwise. You should also check the neck relief too, which may require a truss rod adjustment. If you've never done this then have a professional do it. In fact if I were you I'd have a professional look it over (it'll only cost you around $40 for a typical setup).

Good advice, Rocket knows his stuff.

Several questions first.

Is your Les Paul new?

If so, should be a matter of simply raising the bridge just enough to fix the problem.

You should loosen the strings first to make the bridge adjustment wheels easier to turn.

If you bought a used Les Paul, how old is it?

Being in Norway, I can imagine the temperature/humidity variations the guitar may have lived through.

Not good.

First, get a couple new sets of strings - you may break a few before you're done.

I prefer 10-46, but if you're a beginner you may prefer a lighter set of 9's.

Decide which you want use, as this determines what adjustments are required for proper neck tension and string height.

Before you restring, do the bridge height adjustment and tune the guitar normally.

Then press on the low E string at the 2nd and 14th fret at the same time.

Look at the distance from the string down to the frets in between the 2 & 14, it should be vary gradually in between with the greatest difference being around fret 7 - indicating the slightest bow of the neck.

This is known as neck relief, and your strings should not touch the frets in between 2 & 14 when fretted in both spots.

Next, press on the 2 & 14 on the high E string and make the same observations.

If there's contact between the strings and the neck in between 2 & 14, the truss rod is too tight.

Loosen it no more than 1/4 turn and repeat the steps above.

In fact, I say take it to a pro at this point.

When you're satisfied you have it adjusted properly, put on the new strings.

Be very careful not to move the bridge thumbwheel height adjusters while restring, or you'll be starting over.

If your guitar requires more work than this to get satisfactory results, I have nothing else to add.

Without seeing the guitar in person, and not knowing your skill level, there's little I can add.

I do not advocate adjusting the truss rod unless it absolutely needs it, due to the possibility of neck damage.

I've seen many Gibson necks badly bowed due to improper care, and several broken truss rods.

Break the truss rod, and the guitar is little more than expensive firewood.

A repair is very invasive and $$$$$$.

Where you live, a good guitar repair shop may be hard to find - but you need to find one.

A professional set up may take 30 minutes, but will save you great headaches.

Enjoy your new LP!

well, my local guitar shop have a guy that have played guitar in.. 20 yeras ++

and he owns several gibsons after what i have heard.

i got i some cheaper (not much) becouse the guitar have been out in the guitar shop so people have used it. (i went to another store some miles away)

the guys in the shop checked over the guitar before i bought it and after.

and i changed strings yesterday ^^

but i meybe think the buzz comes from that i hit the strings from a direction, they said they used 9 stings on all the guitars in the shop.

Archived