Gibson Brands Forums

Old Growth Trees Poached in Western Canada

bscott

Please read the following link about old growth trees being cut down in western Canada. The authorities suspect that guitar makers might be approached to purchaswe this wood.

Please report this if you come across it and spread to as many BB' as possible.

As much as we like out wodd and the tones it gives us there isd no exscuse for what has happened.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

Brian

those ****ers!

I'm pretty literally a tree-hugger. I love those old-growth ones especially. I like my guitars but they can be made out of more sustainable wood. I've got maple, mahogany and a bit of spruce. Nothing rare.

EDIT: Poached? they're egg trees? What the heck?! I thought they came from chickens? :-

link wouldn't work - but that is terrible poaching tree's who would have thought that would happen unless it's old growth Adirondack then it's Something else altogether and I'd like to see pictures of how tight the grain is :-

What was poached was old growth Maple.

There's a fairly newseller on ebay in western Canada (BC I think) that has recently offered up some nice looking cypress. I'd like to build a classical next so I was shopping. They claim to only mill wood from blowdowns or other salvaged wood. That's what a couple of their auctions claim anyway, I didn't read all of them. I don't know if that's their policy or just a pitch but it's an interesting thought. It will work for a while anyway, at least until their business picks up and they start running short of salvage.

I'm not a tree hugger; I believe it's a renewable resource and we should use it but we also need to be good stewards.

There's a fairly newseller on ebay in western Canada (BC I think) that has recently offered up some nice looking cypress. I'd like to build a classical next so I was shopping. They claim to only mill wood from blowdowns or other salvaged wood. That's what a couple of their auctions claim anyway' date=' I didn't read all of them. I don't know if that's their policy or just a pitch but it's an interesting thought. It will work for a while anyway, at least until their business picks up and they start running short of salvage.

I'm not a tree hugger; I believe it's a renewable resource and we should use it but we also need to be good stewards.[/quote']

I'm only a tree hugger until I can get them to my bandsaw - I agree we need to restore forest and wood but I have no issue using it I'd rather see it as a guitar that will last a century then furniture or construction material.

Brazilian Rosewood is being poached at alarming rates' date=' yet we all seek the magic fretboard.[/quote']

I don't.

I couldn't care less that my guitar has Honduran Mahogany. I think the whole 'Brazillian Board' thing is about the biggest amount of BS ever.

Does anyone really think that they can tell the difference between what type of Rosewood is fitted to any instrument?

Give me a break.

And give the trees a break, too.

Thanks for the link GuitarJunkie.

Quoting from the link you posted;

"Const. Hamilton said a block can fetch between $20 and $200 at sawmills.... those involved face potential jail terms of six months and a $2,000 fine."

Not much of a deterrent if that's the worst-case-scenario. Ten blocks of wood may cover the fine and I suspect incarceration wouldn't be considered as there would almost certainly be cases 'more deserving' of a spell inside.

Is there an equivalent of the CITES (sp?) treaty which covers ivory etc...etc... in the world of maple? I think I am correct in saying most of the world's Ebony and Brazillian Rosewood are protected by the scheme. Would it simply be too difficult to enforce over such a large country?

I hope Gibson, PRS etc are doing their best to ensure the wood used by them comes from 'official' sources.

Archived