Gibson Brands Forums

ES-140

Narwhal6

A friend who works with estate sales said she saw an old Gibson guitar at an estate she is currently working with.

I looked into it and it's a '56 ES-140T, which is basically a smaller ES-175 with a 22 3/4 scale length.

I'm just curious if anyone here has played one or maybe owned one in the past. Is it diminutive? Ukelele like? Ric 325 type small?

I'm considering going to the estate sale this weekend but I imagine it would be pretty expensive if they had it appraised, but it piqued my interest so thought I'd see if anyone had experience with this model. Thanks.

• Like 1

Estate Sale. Sounds so posh. Its really just a way of saying "I have to sell a bunch of stuff in this house" , and it sounds nicer than, Garage Sale. Which is for the peasants. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have not, nor heard of this model. I have played short scale guitars though such as Fender Duo-Sonic and Epi PeeWee LP. I quite like some of them, though the very short scales are harder to keep in tune. I also find that slacker strings ring less and produce more of an accompanying thud to the note.

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I have not, nor heard of this model. I have played short scale guitars though such as Fender Duo-Sonic and Epi PeeWee LP. I quite like some of them, though the very short scales are harder to keep in tune. I also find that slacker strings ring less and produce more of an accompanying thud to the note.

Yeah, a Duo-Sonic is my only point of reference and it felt too small in my hands. Thought maybe the ES-140 would feel more full size being a hollow body.

3 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Wow, they go for a pretty good amount of $$$. I think it's an ugly instrument. It looks like they threw a small body around a P-90.

I'm betting it will sell for a fair amount less than any R series or Murphy Lab BS.